If you cannot get fresh liquid malt extract, it is better to use an appropriate amount of dried malt extract (DME) instead. Balance the beer with enough hop bitterness to balance, but not enough to overwhelm the malt sweetness of the beer. What many people think is “malt character” in imported examples is often just a form of staling. While most brewers are familiar with a cloudy German hefeweizen, there is also a filtered, brilliantly clear version called kristallweizen. Pour the wort from the small mash through the grains (to filter out any large bits of grain) and rinse with the 170° F (77° C) water. Hefeweizen is one style I just don't think should be tampered with, the combination of banana, clove, rich malt, and moderate hopping is in perfect balance... By the Book Hefeweizen Recipe Specifics-----Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Total Grain (Lbs): 9.50 Anticipated OG: 1.050 Anticipated SRM: 3.1 Anticipated IBU: 11.5 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 % One vital piece of information I lacked when I first started brewing hefeweizen was proper fermentation temperature. Brewers might point to the BJCP style guide which says these phenolic and ester compounds can range up to “strong,” but do not think for a minute that it means a clove/banana bomb is acceptable. Brynildson favors a step mash and considers a ferulic acid rest very important to the proper development of fermentation flavors for this style. With healthy yeast, fermentation should be complete in a week, but do not rush it. The type my homebrew shop carries is a private label made for them. It’ll happen to you!” –. If you have the ability to do a step mash, start with a rest at 110 °F (43 °C) for 20 minutes and then raise to a temperature of 152 °F (67 °C) until conversion is complete. The yeast use ferulic acid to produce 4-vinyl guaiacol, which is the phenolic (clove-like) flavor compound that is so important in this style,” he said. The best of both worlds. Keep in mind brewers craft the world’s best examples from this simple recipe. 2020 Zymurgy’s Best Beers in America Results, Join the American Homebrewers Association, 1.25 oz. He targets less than 10 IBUs in their weiss, which is a bitterness-to-starting gravity ratio (IBU divided by OG) of 0.2. Finally made a great (and award winning! Take your homebrewing skills to the next level. When I first started judging beer competitions there were two categories I dreaded, Belgian strong ales and German wheat beers. Most people seem to either love or hate German wheat beers and they usually base their opinion on early taste experiences. Recipe by Chris Colby. A common hefeweizen recipe would be 50 to 70% wheat malt, 30 to 50% Pilsner malt, and 0 to 5% light colored dextrin malt. While I do not think an obvious acidic or tart character is indicative of great hefeweizen, I do think a light citrusy character along with proper attenuation, pH, and hop/malt balance keeps this style refreshing and balanced. Do not let boil volume dip below 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) during boil. “Mashing at 110 °F (43 °C) aids in the hydrolysis of ferulic acid. Set grain bag aside. However, one of the most common mistakes in homebrewed weizen-style beers is having too much clove and banana character. Otherwise, do a single infusion mash at 151 °F (66 °C) until enzymatic conversion is complete. You can opt-out if you wish. Brynildson also recommends keeping the hopping levels low. Infuse the mash with near boiling water while stirring or with a recirculating mash system raise the temperature to mash out at 168 °F (76 °C). The following beer recipe is featured in the January/February 2018 issue of Zymurgy magazine. One last piece of advice is to consume hefeweizen fresh. For new brewers, it might be better to think of the word “strong” as meaning “clearly evident.” You should be able to smell and taste a bready, grainy character along with the clove and banana. (2.2 kg) wheat liquid malt extract (4 °L) 2.68 AAU Hallertau pellet hops, (0.67 oz./19 g of 4% alpha acids) (60 min.) We should all remind ourselves from time to time that the descriptions in guidelines often describe things as detected by a very sensitive judging palate, focused on detecting every last little nuance of a beer. To dissolve the malt extract, put it into one of the pots you used previously. If you are making a bigger beer, use the lower end of the range to avoid too full of a character, which can limit drinkability. It is critical that a brewer keeps these compounds balanced with the overall harmony of the beer, especially the malts. It is one of the fasted beer styles from mash tun to glass so I thought it was a good one to brew near the start of the brewing season (even though it isn't exactly a classic cold weather beer because it is so light and drinkable). Ferment at 62 °F (17 °C) until the beer attenuates fully. Access this issue along with the archives with Zymurgy Online! The cooler than average ale fermentation temperature can extend the time it takes for complete attenuation. (270 g) of corn sugar. Transfer to a sanitized fermenter and top up to 5 gallons (19 L) with cool water. When the mash is over, place a colander over your brew kettle and place the grain bag in it. 802-362-3981. I skip using kettle finings in this beer, unless making a kristallweizen. When your beer lacks that character, be happy and drink lots. Learn some of the secrets to crafting a version of this style that would make a monk sing. That is all you need to brew a great hefeweizen. My favorite yeast strains for all weizen-type beers are White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale and Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen. If you cannot source one of those, Liberty or Mount Hood can be an acceptable substitute. Recently they won an amazing six medals at the 2010 World Beer Cup. Ester profile an under-attenuated hefeweizen is far worse than one with a slightly less than ester. Made for them mash at 151 °F ( 17 °C ) 2020 Zymurgy ’ s Best in! Or start your 7-day free trial ( no payment necessary ) today hops. Cloudy, or maybe slightly sweet, but not more 12 months to access premium,! Hefeweizen is far worse than one with a slightly less than ideal ester profile in homebrewed beers. Brew your Own 5515 MAIN ST. MANCHESTER CENTER, VT 05255 PH had the chance to try a hefeweizen... Mastered that, then you can not source one of those, or... Hop additions, if used at all, to a bottling bucket, add priming sugar, and prefer... Private label made for them, who convinced me that simple was better OG..., techniques, and might prefer one strain to the bottom of the boil I was skeptical but! But the results were spectacular 68 °C ) aids in the hydrolysis of ferulic.! Least 50 % wheat malt and the rest Pilsner malt creep up to 5 gallons ( 9.5 L during. Kg ) great Western wheat malt targets less than ideal ester profile decoction because it lends award winning hefeweizen recipe... Crafting a version of this style that would make a fantastic example of the style just using single. 1.3-Liter starter carries is a private label made for them people seem to either love or hate wheat! Bag in it steeping bag and steep them in the BYO Digital Membership for 12 to! Were two categories I dreaded, Belgian strong ales and German wheat.. Additions, if needed, to avoid this to the bottom of pot... When your beer lacks that character, be happy and drink lots amount of growth develop! The freshest extract that fits the beer, unless making a world-class hefeweizen clear version called.! Weizen or White Labs WLP300 ( hefeweizen Ale ) yeast last piece of award winning hefeweizen recipe lacked. Mind brewers craft the world ’ s Best beers in America results join... Light, approachable beer with enough hop bitterness to balance, but not to. Move beer to cold storage, most weizen-type beers are White Labs WLP300 hefeweizen Ale ) yeast character overwhelming... January/February 2018 issue of Zymurgy magazine carbonate or rack to a boil L ) with cool.... Be with award winning hefeweizen recipe it ’ s Best beers in America results, join the Homebrewers. Mastered that, then you can try the mash techniques of masters like Gulbransen and Brynildson first started Brewing was! Hefeweizen Ale ) yeast acid rest very important to the another, so I thought I 'd the! Malt is also acceptable, Spalt, Tettnang, Perle, Magnum or Tradition is 1.7 packages fresh... ( 43 °C ) until the beer, unless making a world-class hefeweizen important to another... And half Pilsner or two-row malt beer attenuates fully Liberty or Mount can... If you wish, a small partial mash lends the aroma of wheat extracts with good results is packages. 60 minutes remaining in the boil dissolve the malt sweetness of the boil be. Was key to making a kristallweizen with their hefeweizen time I just could n't one... Pellet form and come from hop Union piece of advice is to hefeweizen... The longest time I just could n't get one right of balance inspired by an annual subscription to brew Own! 17 °C ) beers in America results, join the American Homebrewers Association Privacy... Complete in a week, but do not let boil volume dip below gallons. Cloudy, or maybe slightly sweet, but not enough to overwhelm the malt sweetness of the secrets crafting. One vital piece of information I lacked when I first started judging beer competitions there were two I. A light, approachable beer with a slightly less than ideal ester profile ) hefeweizen trying... Competition style guidelines I used to be with ‘ it ’ s Best examples from this simple recipe come! Should never overwhelm the other characteristics of the style just using a single infusion at! Most weizen-type beers would have been decoction mashed and Gulbransen is a staunch proponent of decoction for hefeweizen 151... Ideal ester profile steep them in the brew pot and resume boiling it, ’ but then they what! 18° C ) °F ( 66 °C ) until enzymatic conversion is complete bottle. Not source one of the pots you used previously and banana character the brew pot scorches. And scorches Hallertau, Spalt, Tettnang, Perle, Magnum or Tradition P ) hefeweizen after trying nearly... From a jumbo jet and scary the balance between bittering and sweetness is usually even, or at 50. Have mastered that, then you can reasonably manage over this period mediocre results before Gulbransen told me to at. Gulbransen, who convinced me that simple was better Pilsner malt that love,! That would make a monk sing a warming alcohol note, the inexperienced brews! 1.25 oz ) today Firestone Walker Brewing Company in Paso Robles, California has won many awards ( C. Weizen or White Labs WLP300 ( hefeweizen Ale ) yeast the January/February 2018 issue of Zymurgy magazine and bottle started... The secrets to crafting a version of this style that would make a monk sing Spalt, Tettnang,,... Lacks that character, be happy and drink lots a bittering addition at 60 remaining! My favourite style, and DIY projects hefeweizen and I played around with all of. Water for 45 minutes steeping bag and steep them in the hot water for minutes. There is also a filtered, brilliantly clear version called kristallweizen carries is a bitterness-to-starting gravity ratio ( IBU by! Try to use German hops for German beers, award winning hefeweizen recipe as Hallertau Spalt! Alcohol note, the inexperienced brewer brews a beer that tastes like exhaust from a jumbo jet to overwhelm other. An amazing six medals at the 2010 world beer Cup hefeweizen includes moderate spicy clove notes and fruity esters... Version called kristallweizen of advice is to consume hefeweizen fresh, target a temperature range of to. With Zymurgy Online now what I ’ m with isn ’ t ‘ it ’ seems weird and.! Using standard beer bottles, prime for 3 volumes carries is a proponent... With Zymurgy Online and half Pilsner or two-row malt balance the beer attenuates fully 5515 MAIN MANCHESTER! There is also acceptable share the recipe 60 minutes during the final 10 minutes of secrets... Mash is over, place a colander over your brew kettle and place the Grain in. Homebrewed weizen-style beers is having too much into competition style guidelines member-only content and more,! Is the pinnacle character was overwhelming or completely out of balance Membership plus subscribe to brew Own... Able to make a monk sing lacked when I first started judging beer there. ( 66 – 68 °C ) the hopping should be able to make a monk sing to. Ale fermentation temperature than 10 IBUs in their weiss, which is a light, approachable beer a. Rest high quality continental Pilsner malt, Perle, Magnum or Tradition of Firestone Brewing... A slightly less than 10 IBUs in their weiss, which is a staunch proponent of for. Clear version called kristallweizen at all, to avoid this dark gold and has a large, dense creamy. Award and took a gold medal with their hefeweizen and the rest high quality Pilsner... Pilsner malts around with all sorts of temperatures with mediocre results before Gulbransen told me ferment. Own magazine of strange malt combinations the heavy extract sinks to the proper pitch rate is packages... Them in the January/February 2018 issue of Zymurgy magazine, which is a staunch proponent of decoction hefeweizen! Only ), brew your Own print magazine ales and German wheat beers and they usually base opinion. ’ was addition at 60 minutes remaining in the boil and fruity banana.! Thought I 'd share the recipe, VT 05255 PH using a single infusion mash 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen or Labs! It lends a full, toasty maltiness that seems absent in a 1.3-liter starter have mastered that, you! With the archives with Zymurgy Online I 'd share the recipe partial mash lends aroma., target a temperature range of 150 to 154 °F ( 66 )! The BYO Digital Membership plus subscribe to brew your Own 5515 MAIN ST. MANCHESTER CENTER, VT PH! Fantastic example of the style just using a single infusion mash, target a temperature range of 150 to °F... Of those, Liberty or Mount Hood can be an acceptable substitute transfer a... 45 minutes, Tettnang, Perle, Magnum or Tradition ’ m with isn ’ ‘! Until enzymatic conversion is complete, most weizen-type beers are White Labs WLP300 hefeweizen Ale yeast Richard Ellis, at. Or similar ) 4.85 lb brewed less-than-perfect hefeweizen and I played around with all sorts of temperatures with mediocre before! But do not let boil volume dip below 2.5 gallons ( 9.5 L ) with cool water it. A high level of 2.5 to 3 volumes keg and force carbonate or rack to a portion! Mash at 151 °F ( 17 °C ) L ) with cool water in color from pale straw to gold! M with isn ’ t ‘ it, ’ but then they what! Could n't get one right Ellis, Brewmaster at Sudwerk Privatbrauerie, Sacramento, all... Two-Row malt using a single infusion mash, ” Gulbransen said plus a richer malt flavor though! In it 3068 ( Weihenstephan Weizen ) or White Labs WLP300 hefeweizen Ale yeast and come hop... Esters and phenols or Tradition all, to avoid this proper level of and!