On board is a young man who is on his way to assume the post of weather observer and live in solitude at the end of the earth. It is doomed to lie in that limbo of productions that, despite having a good number of elements in its favor, can fall into a sad oblivion fueled by its lack of "ground". Character development is handled well. TVTropes is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. horror, Handsomely shot and clever in isolated beats, Cold Skin is the rare monster movie that leads with its ideology, even if it eventually tips its hand prematurely. just like in a tower defense game the creators of the movie show us multiple rounds of enemy atacks with characters' weapons being upgraded every round and enemy count rising. Cold Skin is quite the original unique little tale, but ultimately it fails to deliver on its promises.

And finally the urgency of night coming and what the darkness will bring. Don't have an account? You must be a registered user to use the IMDb rating plugin. Cold Skin (orig. | Rating: 2/4 Cold Skin exerts a strong visual pull, even if all that icy atmosphere isn't a truly satisfying substitute for a story that dares to go somewhere different. The storyline centers around the main character known as Friend, played by David Oakes who is best known for his role in Showtime’s original ‘The Borgias’ as well as the period history drama ‘Victoria’. The location, set design and physical effects used are all beautifully executed and captured. So the hero has to spend a night alone, where he suffers the attack of strange monsters that are similar to frogs. Ship Crew Member #2

All Critics (27)

The setting of the film is a stark and nearly empty volcanic island located far away from normal shipping lanes, in the year 1914 just before the start of World War 1. In the book Gruner is in a rage, stops and says "love, love" but the reader has no idea why. Just confirm how you got your ticket. I loved the movie much more than the book- which as a rule of thumb rarely happens! I enjoyed too which leads the viewer to wonder just how long the lighthouse keeper had been there and who the original lighthouse keeper was. For some reason, there were several moments when I couldn’t help but notice that the hairline gave away the fact that it’s not his real hair. The person that played Aneris was a wow job as well. | Rating: C+ Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available from thestaff@tvtropes.org. It is an excellent atmospheric film, because of the very small cast (aside from the multitude of non-speaking "creatures") you feel like you're watching a play rather than a film. But I found that I didn't care because the rest was just so good. Are there some inconsistencies? 29 of 35 people found this review helpful. | I'd say this is a movie somewhat like The Shape of Water but this story kept my attention unlike that film. Cold Skin is a beautiful dark film that feels like it unfortunately is missing something story-wise for it all to be absolutely fascinating. Cold Skin is described as a fantasy/horror film which I feel is a fair description. |, August 8, 2019 The movie begins as a horror but slowly turns more action orientated. | Rotten (14).

What is Your Favorite Film With a Candle on the Water (AKA, a Lighthouse)? In Stevenson’s defense, I think one of the things that detracted from the believability of the character for me,  was something as trivial as a hairpiece used for Gruners long and unkempt gray hair. However, it takes a turn to the whimsical, which would have been okay with me had it been not so extreme. The image is an example of a ticket confirmation email that AMC sent you when you purchased your ticket. I initially thought this film was about space aliens according to the poster but I was quite wrong and pleasantly surprised it wasn't. In 1914, just after of Franz Ferdinand's assassination that eventually caused World War I, a steamship approaches a desolate island on the edge of the Antarctic Circle, where a young nameless man is poised to take the post of weather observer, to live in solitude at the ends of the earth for an entire year until the arrival of his replacement. Was this review helpful to you? | and the Terms and Policies, Set in the back drop of WW1 it does't seem to have connection intill you peice it together. Cold Skin is a 2018 French-Spanish sci-fi horror movie directed by Xavier Gens and based on the 2002 novel of the same name by Albert Sánchez Piñol..

I have always been a fan of sci-fi/speculative films that tend to have a minimal cast against the backdrop of an expansive setting. Those questionable moments from both male actors seemed to be primarily in the beginning half of the movie so perhaps it comes down to the amount of chemistry the actors felt in regards to their characters as well as to each other. | Fresh (13) All rights reserved. A young man arrives at a remote island to take a post of weather observer only to find himself defending the watchtower from deadly creatures which live in the island shores.

|, September 10, 2018 Yes. Friend successfully fights off the attacker and hides in the basement to survive the attack by several of these mysterious creatures until the light of day sees him finally able to seek out Gruner for assistance. What a brilliant, original and highly enjoyable film. Though I highly recommend both movie and book, the movie does a better job. (2017). Ian McGee. The percentage of users who rated this 3.5 stars or higher. There are several scenes where it was necessary to use CGI to multiply the number of creatures attacking Friend and Gruner at night, as well as some scenes which would have been costly or challenging to film, such as when the creatures are scaling the walls of the lighthouse and subsequently being repelled from it onto the jagged rocks below by Gruner and Friend. Before watching this movie, I was unfamiliar with his work. There is also a lighthouse on the island that is occupied by a rather unfriendly fellow who has fortified the lighthouse with sharp stakes. This is the moment that Gruner first refers to the frightened weather observer as ‘Friend’. In this regard, Cold Skin is very reminiscent of Oblivion and Ex Machina. Playing out more like a gender-swapped version of The Shape of Water than the Lovecraftian horror it wants to be, Gens' latest is visually pleasing, but ultimately empty.

And I got plenty of just that! Cold skin starts off Eerie, kind of like Shutter Island, and you can tell that it's going to get dark.