If a lag screw with a 5/16-inch shaft is installed correctly, it can withstand pull-out, or withdrawal, of up to 212 pounds in close-grain hem, fir and redwood, and up to 266 pounds in larch Douglas fir, according to information from the American Wood Council. } 1/2 drywall doesn’t have the same strength a 5/8 inch, and both are common. var proof = 85000; How much actual weight the metal non-structural studs can bear I don't know, but it is less than the wood that would be used for that same structure. So if I had a steel bar of the length 18in, and the cross-section with a diameter of 1 inch, how much weight could it take before breaking? Ok, another one. } 1-1/2 in. Pressed wood, also known as fiberboard, particleboard or chipboard, is a composite mixture of wood chips glued together under high pressure. That's the one. Purchase Tapcons. } if ((str.split(". To install, place the tip at the desired location. return [Math.round(cl*dia*tch),Math.round(cl*dia*tcl)]; If  you mount it with 4 screws - 2 on each side, one near the top of the compartments and one near the bottom of the unit, it's not going to go anywhere. } The answer is, a lot of weight—if it is done right. load = 74000; Common VESA and TV sizes include: 200 x 200 for up to 32 inch TVs, 400 x 400 for up to 60 inch TVs, and 600 x 400 for large screens 70 to 84 inch TVs. That’s enough for a small to medium picture frame or a small wall light or planter. The TripleGrip 1-1/2 in. A 3/8-inch toggle can safely hold over 100 lbs. return value; The most weight a 3/16-inch anchor will take is 420 pounds. Apologies for the terrible diagram. will basic welds with gussets hold? If you’re allowed to span 16′ with your joists 16″ on center, but you only span 8′ with your joists 12″ on center, then that deck can hold substantially more weight. Metal Galvanized hose clamp supporting 4 inch pipe clamp,cast iron pipe clamp price Price: US $2-5 / Piece; No China manufacturer radiator hose clamp Price: US $0.1-1 / Piece; Worm Drive Galvanized Steel Automotive Hose Clamp Price: US $0.04-0.4 / Piece; Thumb Screw Hose Clamp Kit 26pc Assorted Thumb Screw Hose Clamp Price: US $0.01-5 / Set } else if (load == 'sae5') { More specifically and without limitation, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL FASTENAL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOSS OF DATA OR PROFIT, PROPERTY AND EQUIPMENT DAMAGE OR INJURY, ARISING OUT OF THE USE, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE LOAD CALCULATOR, EVEN IF FASTENAL HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBLITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. So, if A = 18 inches and B = 3 inches the tension created by the 75# weight would be 450# 18 ÷ 3 = 6 6 X 75 = 450# Assuming 1/2" drywall, it would take: I accept the terms and conditions set forth above. function threadRootArea(dia, tpi) { per square foot. While threaded anchors hold well and are easy to install and remove, they leave a nice sized hole behind should you decide to redecorate in the future. Screw Withdrawal Force Calculator Imperial Units. And, pardon … F = 2850 (0.45) 2 (0.190 in) = 109 lb per inch of penetration . How would one calculate the amount of weight a steel bar could hold before breaking? function minTensileStrength(ts, tsa) { Since 2009. How much weight can a bolt take before the threads pull out? That is a big range. if (diameter > 1) { Load Calculator. var load = document.getElementById("grade").value; The ring has a circumference of 31.4 inches and I need to find out how many screws I will need to safely hold the ring in place. If you are using a lead screw with only two turns per inch, .5 inch pitch, you can determine the requirements with the first formula. var tensile = 180000; And I found your chart and have bookmarked it, thanks for making that! The 1/4-inch screw requires a 3/16-inch … 3/16 will do 5,400lbs. Either way, even the most conservative formula shows that the 425 oz-in motor will handle very large weights. return [Math.round((torque[0]/12)*10)/10,Math.round((torque[1]/12)*10)/10]; TIA once again. This one: http://ana-white.com/2009/11/p.....314.html  ??? Keep some 2 1/2-inch deck screws for screwing into end grain, plus some stronger 3-inch screws for attaching into end-grained boards, or when a little extra added power is needed. D = diameter of screw (in) Example - Screw Withdrawal Load. Please review Disclaimer and Terms of Service, Frameless Bookshelf Customizeable Sizes Template, Trimmed and ready for Christmas - Dollhouse, our modified version of printers sideboard, http://ana-white.com/2009/11/p.....314.html. per hundred ASTM F3125 Grade A325 or A490 heavy hex structural bolts with a nut. } else if (load == 'fnl9') { This calculator can be used as an aid to help estimate the weight of bolts, nuts, and washers. If you need it to hold as much weight as you can stuff in then do some testing. } I would hence tend to say that you are fine, but there are many, many problems that could possibly arise (not to mention that I am not a construction engineer and roughly followed http://xkcd.com/793/ ). } else if (load == 'astm574') { This includes the length of the screw, the type of thread, the quality of the screw, the way it was inserted, and the type of forces that will be acting on it. 1/4 in. Cam-action wings deploy laterally for a secure hold. Find a Stud When using a nail or screw to secure something to your wall, make sure the nail or screw … We provide it as a resource for our customers, because the weight of a bolt or assembly is often needed when calculating shipping costs, or jobsite delivery requirements. } Remember, you can only "shave" a maximum of 1 1/2" off depth of stud (don't over cut or it will weaken stud) and don't over pre-drill diameter of hole. and n equals thread per inch. } I'm now trying to hang the entry way shelf into studs. They are going to hold a ring in that will have around 66,725 lb pushing down on it. if(document.getElementById("series").value == "unc") { C-F are wood glue, there finishing nails and 2 deck screws (each) that I used to build the box. As far as I can see, the maximum would still be about six (corresponding to approx. 10 screw is 0.190 inches. For instance, expanding plastic sleeves are a good option. Then all you need is a sign (If the sunrooms a rocking don’t come a knocking!) [CDATA[ Shear is not part of any industry standard and the values presented below are estimations based on 60% of the ultimate tensile strengths. Weight & Count Chart of Popular fasteners | Machine Screws Weight Chart, Machine Screws Cheese Head As Per Is 1366-2002 Weight Chart, Machine Screws Csk Head As Per Is 1365-2005 Weight Chart, Machine Screws Csk Head As Per Bs 450 Weight Chart Specification | Dimensions | Size Chart ... 1/2" 5/8" 3/4" 1" 1 1/4" 1 1/2" function footLbs(torque) { na.focus(); 1. Can anybody tell me how much weight these screws can hold a piece? Amsteel is remarkable stuff, used extensively by the offroad community for winch ropes. Screw Products Inc. and Fabral have done a battery of tests on this factor and have reported their findings. Toggle bolts are sized by the diameter and length of the machine screw.A 1/8-inch toggle can safely hold 50 lbs. When in doubt, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for determining TV mount weight compatibility. } The "TERMS OF ACCESS" as posted on this website will be applicable to your use of this Load Calculator. They are going to be screwed into the outside of the ring so they point towards the center. if(document.getElementById("series").value == "unc") { Important: Working load limits for eye bolts are based on a straight vertical lift in a gradually increasing manner. Weight Support The strength of the toggle bolt is determined by the length and diameter of its screw body. These anchors can be made from plastic, nylon or metal. return value; 7/16 Amsteel Blue will hold 23,600lbs. i intend to bolt this guard to the frame or perhaps use hitch pins, would 4 3/4 or 1/2" hitch pins be able to support this weight? However they do make Exterior grade MDF, although it is a little hard to find, I get mine at a hardwood supply store. } else { 166000. Screw Withdrawal Force Calculator Imperial Units var proof = 135000; } The compressive strength -- resistance to pressure bearing on it -- of traditional 1/2-inch gypsum board is 400 pounds per square inch (psi), but the boards aren't rated for live and dead loads. on 1/2-inch drywall. How Much Weight Can Pressed Wood Hold?. > Out cubic inches to cubic feet conversion utility can help with this. document.getElementById("dry").value = calcTorque(0.2, diameter, series, load); Thank you. If you need to hold 100 lbs, find a screw that can hold 100 lbs before it yields… But things are not so simple. #8 #10 #12 #8 #10 #12 1/2 415 (500) 590 465 (565) 670 5/8 – – – 500 (600) 705 ... a joint slip of less than 0.01 inch. It was super helpful. var yield = 81000; The smallest anchors hold up to 18 pounds in 1/2” drywall, and the medium-size anchors hold up to 25 pounds in 5/8” drywall. One way to go at it would be to determine how much weight you need it to hold. document.getElementById("pitch").value = series; //correct The strength data is assumed to be accurate at room temperature only and for applications that expose the fastener to extreme temperatures or for other questions related to the content below, contact the Fastenal Engineering & Design Support at engineer@fastenal.com. But for the lag bolts, how much weight can I expect the two of them to hold vertically? var shear = 36000; return value; Two or three 3/8-inch toggles can hold up most kitchen cabinets on solid, strong 1/2-inch drywall. var value = Math.round(mss * tsa); to and including 32 inches on center. How do you define "light duty" shelf? 52200. return Math.round(((coefficient * diameter * cl) / 12) * 10)/10; The diameter of no. The boards would break before they did. A "puny" 1/8" toggle can safely hold 30 lbs. withdrawal resistance in close or medium grain "dry" lumber per screw. They offer a fast and easy installation. function autoCount(){ Does anyone know if there is a weight limit to the screws? Ok, another one. Zinc-Alloy Long Lag Shield (20-Piece) - page 2 Customer Reviews var yield = 159500; Two screws into each joist. } function calcLoad() { Length can vary from 12 inches to about 48 inches.