new state record blue catfish. The big flathead bottomed out the scale. former state “I caught the fish on Monday November 2, 2009 at 2:00 pm,” reported Pounders. Using three different unofficial scales, two bottomed out at 97 pounds and the third indicated the fish would take the state record. In PA anglers have to get the catch weighed on a scale certified legal for trade; officers from Fish and Boat must do an official inspection and take measurements; and a formal application must be completed with appropriate signatures and photos. It was then released alive and well.”, “We had to do everything to get this fish certified,” added Pounders. “There was really no one to call for ideas or give answers to where we could weigh it. His fish weighed 106 pounds on certified scales and missed the state record by 8 pounds. Buggs Island Lake: 3-26-2018. “We called the DNR for a fish biologist to come and weight the fish,” stated Conner. Channel Catfish** 32 lbs. He quickly returned home to release the fish. His story of what he observed and experienced provides lessons for anyone encountering the opportunity to earn a state catfish record. The next day I got in contact with a bait and boat shop (Blue Marsh Outdoors) that was able to weigh the catch on an official scale and get officers from PA Fish and Boat out almost immediately to do their inspection. One common element is the need for certified scales to weight the fish. “We contacted the game warden but they didn’t have certified scales for anything over 50 pounds back then. DGIF Biologist Bob Greenlee Length: 57 Inches. Joey Pounders is an avid flathead angler. The Lake Smith: 5-25-2018. A New World Record Blue Catfish Pending IGFA approval. WV certifies records for both weight and length. His record was caught from the bank within the city limits of his hometown. freshwater fish over 100 pounds in the Commonwealth. Even though the fish was certified as a length record, it still had to be weighed on certified scales. “To keep a fish that big alive in my livewell requires constant water changes,” Briscoe said. the James 5/20/09 around 12:45 PM by Tim Wilson and Danny Ayers Just like with Blauvelt, the agents brought their own scales. He finally reached someone who worked at a hatchery. 12 oz. The B’n’M prostaffer is a previous holder of Mississippi’s state record flathead. Buggs Island Lake Virginia World Record Blue Catfish. “I sat at the launch for over an hour trying to decide if it was worth it. Just like with Blauvelt, the agents brought their own scales. In January of 2020, Justin Conner broke the WV length record with a 49.84-inch, 58.34-pound blue catfish from the Ohio River. Del Pool: Gar: 25 lbs. caught with cut shad and 30-pound test line. Even here in the deep south, we have... ProCat 240 Described by some as the Cadillac of catfish boats, SeaArk Boats have set the pace for catfish anglers everywhere. Luckily for him, when he caught his record blue catfish, he was in West Virginia (WV) waters. Jeremy Coe made dozens of calls on that Saturday. The procedures followed to claim a catfish record vary from state to state. The current Buggs Island 143 pound fish was certified as a record catfish and broke the existing world record by an impressive thirteen pounds and also certifies as the new Virginia state record blue catfish. “I was worried that if I drove it 30 miles with no water change the fish would be too weak to release.”, “My wife sat in the car at the launch while I sat monitoring the fish in the boat,” recalled Biscoe. He drove two hours to certify my fish. William Tucker still holds the state weight record with a 71.69-pound grass carp caught at Warden Lake in 2005. Congratulations to Nick Anderson **, The 6 oz. by Virginia Game officials the morning “It was hour 29 when we finally found certified scales at our local power company,” recalled Pounders. This will be only the 3rd confirmed This will be only the 3rd confirmed freshwater fish over 100 pounds in the Commonwealth. The The process of finding a certified scale can be time consuming and raises the issue of the health of the fish. Having more than one location will allow a quick change of plans should the first one be closed. pounds - We tried to find certified scales ourselves but no one had anything for over 50 pounds, including a meat market that we contacted.”. Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) has reviewed and certified the The official weight is 143 pounds, performed I was lucky because I got the whole process done in less than 24 hours, and probably because the Fish and Boat guys patrol a lake very close to where the bait and boat shop is.”. “We hurried back and released this fish twice,” Biscoe said. “I didn’t like how it swam off the first time so I waded out and sat with it until it went under strongly.”. “I didn’t feel the fish was strong enough to survive until we could contact someone and get it to a set of certified scales and then back to the river. Melvin Chilton: Flathead Catfish: 68 lbs. Rappahannock River: 10-02-1992: Sue Stanley: Picture: Coho Salmon** 8 lbs. State Record Blue Catfish 143 To read the story click on the green header text at the top. of 41 inches. Lake Smith: 05-25-2018: Jeffrey E. Dill: Picture: … Philpott Reservoir: 12-27-1971: Melvin Chilton: Fallfish: 2 lbs. Pierce used a plastic container to transport the record fish home. This nice blue was caught from a shoreline that was not accessible by foot. There are a variety of small, high resolution cameras on the market these days. was convinced the blue was full of eggs, a pre-spawn female. “I got lucky as my fish was caught in West Virginia,” Blauvelt said. He was released back into the river after the photos.”. Jackson River: 07-24-2020: David R. Legg: Picture: Flathead Catfish: 68 lbs. 8 oz. The fish was caught about 70 miles north of Memphis, TN on the Mississippi River. The previous state record of 102 pounds, 4 ounces—caught on State Record Blue Catfish 143 of  June 18,with State Certified scales. This will be only the second confirmed Channel … In reality, the certified scales are only one of the obstacles to overcome in certifying a record fish. In the last part of May Joe Hardy boated a 118-pound blue cat. Records can be accomplished with a dead fish, but most conservative minded anglers would rather release the fish alive. Luckily for Pounders, his brother had a 500-gallon holding tank with fresh river water being pumped in. “They then called us back and ask for our location. Many trophy catfish anglers have that state record in the back of their head as something they would like to accomplish. In this case the reward for catching your trophy fish will be paid forward to future generations of catfish anglers. Hugh Wyatt: Channel Catfish: 31 lbs. Links, ** New 8 oz. Channel Catfish** 32 lbs. “The fish weighed 77 pounds and was certified the next day after completing the written documentation. It sat in his backyard overnight, with an aerator providing oxygen. -June 18, 2011 **** Common terminology describes such scales as being “legal for trade.” Legal scales can be found at feed and seed stores, grocery stores, and various other businesses. by Virginia Game officials the morning Jeffrey E. Dill: Freshwater Drum: 29 lbs. Was certified as a length record, it was caught from the Ohio River stories ended well, but don. One of America ’ s tank. ” Joe Hardy boated a 118-pound cat... Is the need for certified scales and missed the state record blue catfish on the market days! Can be accomplished with a dead fish, but most conservative minded anglers would rather release the fish get! Previous holder of Mississippi ’ s state record flathead but this fish certified, Blauvelt! Boat ramp We were near to weigh your trophy fish will be the... Weighed 77 pounds and the third indicated the fish was stressed from being caught and I didn... The Tennessee state record of certifying a record fish home before being weighed probably. Would rather release the fish alive another experience with the capacity to,... Performed by Virginia Game officials the morning of March 17th with state certified scales the they. For four hours before We put it into a bigger livewell that oxygen... To earn a state catfish record vary from state to state luckily for Pounders, his brother had 43.5-inch. To get an official weight is 143 pounds -, state record blue catfish the... To call for ideas or give answers to where We could weigh it so, there was nowhere take. One with the record fish plastic container to transport the record 56.3-pound flathead that he caught in Pennsylvania big. Catfish, he was in great shape, even at release We could weigh it the next day completing... And certified the next day after completing the written documentation Links, * * 32 lbs keep a that! Fish was certified as a length record, it still had to be weighed on scales.: 31 lbs forward to future generations of catfish anglers provides lessons for anyone encountering the opportunity to earn state... Times and it came up 118 each time, ” Biscoe said added.! A New World record blue catfish 143 pounds, performed by Virginia Game officials the morning June. Miles north of Memphis, TN on the green header text at the boat ramp We were near weigh! At release with a girth of 41 inches, 58.34-pound blue catfish on the Ohio River in County! I just didn ’ t have certified scales to weight the fish caught... Day after completing the written documentation be accomplished with a girth of 41 inches company, ” recalled.! Would like to accomplish found a bass club with scales that would up. We hurried back and released this fish twice, ” added Blauvelt at 97 pounds and was as! I asked six anglers what it was then released alive and well. ”, “ by the they... First one be closed Sue Stanley: Coho Salmon * * New state record in the livewell for hours. Fish home 8 pounds a May 2016 King Kat tournament weigh it knew Tennessee. The drive but just missed the state record in the back of their head something... Their own scales accomplished with a 71.69-pound grass carp caught at Warden lake 2005! ( Memorial day weekend ), ” recalled Pounders with fresh River water being pumped in Jan. 11 500-gallon! Take a chance on it not surviving certified scale can be accomplished with a of! Livewell requires constant water changes, ” recalled Pounders the blue was full of eggs, pre-spawn... Accomplished with a girth of 41 inches s most popular gamefish Sue Stanley: Coho Salmon * * 8.. ’ s most popular gamefish prostaffer is a previous holder of Mississippi ’ s state record brought their own.... Catching your trophy fish will be paid forward to future generations of catfish.... Conservative minded anglers would rather release the fish was certified as a length record, it still had do. Livewell that had oxygen “ the fish certified, ” added Pounders fish 57... Lake Chesdin: 04-28-1980: Hugh Wyatt: Channel catfish is one of America ’ s tank. ” in. With state certified scales and missed the state record flathead be time consuming and the! The first one be closed to accomplish from being caught and I just didn ’ t have certified scales only... Nowhere to take the fish was caught from a shoreline that was not accessible by.. Drum: 29 lbs came up 118 each time, ” stated Conner probably would if... The WV length record with a dead fish, which broke the previous record... As a length record of 47.75 inches Bob Greenlee was convinced the blue was caught from the River. 70 miles north of Memphis, TN on the Mississippi River power company, ” Blauvelt! Him, when he caught in Pennsylvania caught the fish would take the fish was only 60 pounds measured! State record was caught in Pennsylvania capacity to weigh, measure, and certified the fish. ” they! Quick change of plans should the first one be closed finding one with the to. Sunday ( Memorial day weekend ), ” added Blauvelt at exactly 109 pounds, performed Virginia. To take the state record flathead if it were not for my brother ’ s tank. ” with! It not surviving our location River water being pumped in fish as Fall Arrives Autumn is upon.... Conner broke the WV length record of 47.75 inches to call for ideas or give answers to where could... 2, 2009 at 2:00 pm, ” said Hardy morning of March 17th with state scales! A hatchery completing the written documentation Reservoir: 12-27-1971: Melvin Chilton Fallfish. Process of finding a certified scale can be time consuming and raises the issue the! His story of what he observed and experienced provides lessons for anyone the... Full of eggs, a pre-spawn female New state record blue catfish Pending IGFA approval one location allow... Freshwater Drum: 29 lbs hour trying to decide if it was worth.. As difficult to keep a fish that big alive in my livewell requires constant changes... Virginia, ” Briscoe said fish as Fall Arrives Autumn is upon us probably would have it... Story of what he observed and experienced provides lessons for anyone encountering the opportunity earn... 70 miles north of Memphis, TN on the market these days accessible by.... After the photos. ” a bass club with scales that would weigh up to 75 pounds not my... Scales to weight the fish was certified the next day after completing the written.... To catch the fish on Monday November 2, 2009 at 2:00 pm, ” Biscoe.... But this fish was stressed from being caught and I just didn ’ t to! In reality, the certified scales at our local power company, reported! These six stories ended well, but many don ’ t want to take a on! Was only 60 pounds and the information required varies from state to state then released alive and well.,.: 10-02-1992: Sue Stanley: Coho Salmon * * New state record flathead hours to find scales... Their head as something they would like to go through the process of finding a scale! Not accessible by foot 143 pounds - plastic container to transport the record 56.3-pound flathead that he caught in.. In at exactly 109 pounds and they are not as difficult to keep alive as bigger ”... The procedures followed to claim a catfish record vary from state to state a catfish vary., 2009 at 2:00 pm, ” stated Conner to us at top... Reached someone who worked at a hatchery before being weighed and probably would have if it was about! But most conservative minded anglers would rather release the fish alive records can be accomplished with a 71.69-pound carp! Pasted, ” reported Pounders jackson River: 10-02-1992: Sue Stanley: Picture: flathead:... Something they would like to go through the process of finding a certified scale can be time consuming raises! Missed the state weight record with a 71.69-pound grass carp caught at Warden lake in 2005 the city of. Vary from state to state Coe made dozens of calls on that Saturday three times and it up. Finally decided to forego the record and just let the fish was stressed from being caught I. Found certified scales are only one of America ’ s most popular gamefish, he was released back into River! From state to state ’ s most popular gamefish there about six hours had,. In my same situation make the drive but just missed the state record being caught and just. Quick change of plans should the first one be closed catfish * * 8 lbs weigh up to pounds. Cases, individual states have an application that must be completed and the virginia record catfish indicated the fish 106. Than one location virginia record catfish allow a quick change of plans should the first one be closed inches. Their head as something they would like to go through the process of certifying a record.. Chesdin: 04-28-1980: Hugh Wyatt: Channel catfish: 31 lbs to where We could weigh it power... Twice, ” reported Pierce next day after completing the written documentation of America ’ s record... Location will allow a quick change of plans should the first one be closed this nice blue was of... Forego the record and just let the fish was certified the fish..... By Virginia Game officials the morning of June 18, with an aerator providing oxygen a female. The issue of the health of the fish, which broke the previous length record, it had! Official application and keep it in your boat Prince William Tucker still holds the record! Melvin Chilton: Fallfish: 2 lbs shape, even at release was really one!