Severus is deputed to travel to the Dacian capital to receive Decebalus' surrender. Nicolaecu's movie is one of the greatest Romanian films ever made.

According to Mark Stolarik it is about the ethnogenesis of the Romanian people as a "Dacian-Roman synthesis". asks the Roman commander. Use the HTML below. The end of Trajan's Dacian Wars (106 AD), when south western Dacia was transformed into a Roman province: Roman Dacia. User Ratings

In a pre-credit sequence, a massive Roman army arrives at the gates of a Dacian town. The great King of Dacia, Decebal (Decebalus), is ready to make the ultimate sacrifice in order to keep the integrity of his people. | "Dacii" is a mediocre contribution to the peplum (aka, sword-and-sandal) genre. After Mihai Viteazul (Michael the Brave), it is the most watched Romanian historical film, and the fourth most watched movie of all time in Romania.

This is really a very impressive movie, one of my favourites. It's the story of a few men that wonder across Europe trying to come home and rebuild what Mihai Viteazul called "romanian dream".

Aura Vatafu. But as soon as he enters Dacian territory Attius is killed by a Dacian sentry.

This is a super-production in the spirit of '60 movies (Spartacus , Battle for Rome). | Best fight scenes , huge masses of soldiers , very credible movie.I saw that movie when I was a child and I was very impressed .

Certificate: NRC Given the film and audio technology level in 1967 the soundtrack is mono with subtitles in English and french. To us, both "Dacii" and "Columna" are excellent and make very valid points as to how ancient Dacia was conquered by the Romans. Attractive Romanian film (actually a Romanian-French co production filmed in Romania) belonging to the swords and sandals genre and telling the story of how the Dacians confronted and resisted the Roman Empire at around 100 AD. The film shows historical events about Romania. The two armies confront each other across the battlefield. and the levels of a civilization who escapes from idyllic formulas. Roman legions invade Dacia ready to become "The Masters of the World." The great King of Dacia, Decebal (Decebalus), is ready to make the ultimate sacrifice in order to keep the integrity of his people. I first learned about Daciens in primary school, a few years ago and since then I am interested in everything about the Dacians, I like to believe I am rather Dacian then Roman. It's a deep and natural empathy for the ancient past without any need to add some artifical tricks. The Dacians prepare for war. Set in post war Romania, a communist who was tortured by the fascists during the war is now a police detective and sets about clearing his city of gangsters and black marketeers.

It is a well made, entertaining film with fine color photography. "Sufro," (I suffer it) proclaims the Emperor while hiding his satisfaction.

He had been supplied liberally with gold annually so that he could become influential in Roman politics and keep Decebalus informed of events in the capital. The guard on watch asks who is making this demand, and gets the reply "the masters of the world". Vlad Tepes, otherwise known as Vlad the Impaler and Dracula, fights the Ottoman Turks on the battlefield and the Hungarian Boyars in his court. For all its obvious naivete' (being, at best, a semi-professional enterprise and actually only the director's first feature-length effort! In Dacia Cotyso (Alexander Herescu) and Meda (Marie-José Nat), children of King Decebalus (Amza Pellea), are hunting in the Carpathian Mountains.

A Romanian peasant, visiting a friend who is working at a hotel on the Black Sea Riviera, is mistaken for a look-alike rich American businessman. [1] In Romania the film was immensely successful, and it remains one of the most watched films of all time in the country.

Was this review helpful to you? Dacii (The Dacians) is a 1967 historical drama film about the run up to Domitian's Dacian War, which was fought between the Roman empire and the Dacians in AD 87-88. Decebalus reveals that Attius was really a Dacian called Zoltes, sent to Rome 40 years ago as part of a plan to promote Dacian interests. Follows the Communist Romanian Militia 'miscellaneous brigade' and the 'diverse' crimes that it solves. Visual or audio effects were no concern for Nicolaescu, since its movies are based on historical facts transcending time and people. Great action scenes, attractive outdoor locations (in pastoral like locations) are a plus. The newspaper "Adevarul" (the Truth) releases on DVD the "Historical" series of movies made by Sergiu Nicolaescu in the '60s, '70s and '80s. Metacritic Reviews. I've heard they used something like 5,000 extras to create battle scenes. El a fost realizat de Studioul Cinematografic București în colaborare cu Franco-London Film (Franța).

I think that if it would be released in the USA it would be nominated for Oscar.

He is found by Decebalus' daughter Meda, who takes him to her cabin.

Best fight scenes , huge masses of soldiers , very credible movie.I saw that movie when I was a child and I was very impressed . Colors are restored, but some scratches are visible throughout the movie, given its 41 years of age.

Title:

He also tells him that the true meaning of the message was that the Dacians would fight to the end against invaders. From Coraline to ParaNorman check out some of our favorite family-friendly movie picks to watch this Halloween. Unfortunately, at least VHS record is very hard to find and DVD doesn't exist so far. Great performance for the unforgettable actor Amza Pellea as Decebal (the king of dacians) and the best movie of Sergiu Nicolaescu.

Directed by Sergiu Nicolaescu. Back at the camp, Severus argues violently with Fuscus.

21 of 27 people found this review helpful.

When he gets there, Decebalus reveals to him the truth about his father Attius. Since the Dacians are believed to be the ancestors of the Romanians, I suppose part of the purpose of the film was to raise nationalist consciousness, but this is thankfully not too heavy. Dacii este un film istoric româno-francez, regizat în 1967 de Sergiu Nicolaescu.

Its a shame that this video is hard to find and is not available in major stores. maybe, it could be perceived as a good history lesson. At the end of the 16th century Wallachian ruler Prince Michael the Brave overcame the adversity of the Ottoman and Austrian Empires to unite Wallachia, Moldavia and Transylvania into one country. When Decebalus finds out, he asks Severus to convince Domitian to negotiate, but Severus says that he must do his duty as a Roman officer. He sends a symbolic message to Domitian: a caged mouse, frog, bird, a knife and a quiver of arrows. Action. This was made in 1967, when many films of this sort were made in the West (the so called Peplum, including Spartacus, Cleopatra and countless Italian movies), yet this particular film seems to be little known outside Romania.

Decebalus and Severus meet between the armies and engage in single combat.

After Severus reports back, an angry Domitian sends Fuscus to crush the Dacians. Decebalus lets him go. http://www.filmeleadevarul.ro/istorice/category/filme/dacii/. After 1394 King Mircea the Elder, ruler of Wallachia, ponders the eventual consequences of a military alliance with the Poles versus one with the Turks. Domitian decides to make a deal with the Dacians so he can use the army to suppress the rebellion. Severus returns to camp with his father's body, and Domitian orders an attack.