Examples include, You will still hear Arabic references in daily life. There’s an infinite number of sentences in the Turkish language that make learning Turkish … I’ve developed a special new ebook to help you learn The 100 Most Useful Travel Words in Turkish… Kanka – my best friend, often used by males only. I am always having a hard time telling them what I wanted. English is taught in schools so most Turks have a basic knowledge. How much is the fare? Yes = Evet No = Hayır Thank you = Teşekkürler Please = Lütfen Excuse me = Pardon Hello = Merhaba Goodbye = Hoşçakal I do not understand = Anlamıyorum Where is ...? If you intend to visit off the beaten track areas, download an app or carry a small phrase book that you can refer to if needed. Basic phrases to use in Turkish. A bit of Turkish goes a long way. So, why not learn a few basic Turkish phrases and expressions to enhance your general knowledge and become happier in the process? The table below contains a list of the Turkish phrases with audio. Hoja – used when talking about a wise man, like a teacher, advisor or mentor. Common Turkish Words and Phrases for Tourists The Turks love it, when tourists attempt to converse in their language, even if it is a simple word like saying “hello”. There are two versions for the word “ You ”. We will teach you: How to say Hello! meaning: I would like to renew my ‘paket’ for x amount of liras. “ Sen ” is informal and used when speaking with friends and family. This list of 250 basic Turkish words and expressions allows you to establish some kind of communication to address most inconveniences or questions you may have during your stay. Thanks a lot! Can you please help me in this? in Basic Turkish for Tourists,City Trip. Women are referred to as hanım so Zeynep will be called Zeynep Hanım. Find out more…. One ticket to ..., please. i just say “paket” and the amount but I wanted to say it properly. At for your convenience, at the bottom you’ll find a link to print this page in a printer-friendly fashion. x lira için paketimi yenilemek istiyorum. Useful for travellers to Turkey. This will help you read and also hear the words … Learn the most important words in Turkish Here you can find the translation of the 50 most important words and expressions into Turkish. Here is a list of common and important day-to-day words and phrases to print off and put in your suitcase. Do You Know These Istanbul Shopping Secrets? I the previous posts of this Turkish Language for Tourists series I focused on providing useful Turkish words. It is rude for children to address an adult by their name only so there are many titles that are used on their own or to  follow a first name. Explore historical sites, the back streets of neighbourhoods and introduce yourself to Turkish cuisine. If you are about to travel to Turkey, this is exactly what you are looking for! by admin. Not all all. Anyone can learn 100 words!™ These are the simplest Turkish lessons ever, quicker—and cheaper—than a Turkish language course in Istanbul.Even if you learn Turkish only this much, it’s sure to make your trip to Turkey go more smoothly. Copyright 2012 to 2020 @ Turkey Travel Centre : Common Turkish Words and Phrases for Tourists, It is phonetic so it is pronounced in exactly the same way as it is read, The letters Q , W and X are not in the Turkish alphabet, The Turkish alphabet has some letters that are not present in English including ö ç ş ı ğ ü, The current Turkish alphabet was introduced in 1928 by the founder of. = Bilet kaç lira? GREETINGS Hello Merhaba MEHR-hah-bah Locals appreciate tourists making the effort to use a few words or phrases, no matter how muddled you may think you sound. Thanks for the suggestion. If you want to construct simple, everyday sentences to … and Goodbye in Turkish! 1. hoş geldiniz — it’s … Ideal for first time visitors to Turkey, the cosmopolitan city of Istanbul is perfect for a four day city break. Knowing a few basic Turkish words and expressions will not only please locals, it will also come in handy during your stay. Turkish belongs to the Ural-Altaic family of languages, and is rather different from languages of the Indo-European family. Surnames are seldom used in everyday conversations. An exciting part of visiting a country for the first time is to speak some of the local lingo. Make sure to check out the Turkish pronunciation rules, too. Can you please make an audio of this vocabulary if possible ? Useful Turkish Words. Would you mind telling what to say in Turkish when I want to recharge my mobile? Here are 12 extraordinarily useful Turkish phrases to help you prepare for a visit to Turkey. I’ll look into it, but I’m afraid it will take some time. The Turks love it, when tourists attempt to converse in their language, even if it is a simple word like saying “hello”. “ Siz “ is formal and kept for people that you are unfamiliar with. lamb grilled on a spit and served in thin slices, layered pastry with cheese/meat/spinach filling, teşekkür ederim, teşekkürler, sağol or mersi. in Basic Turkish for Tourists,City Trip. For your convenience common basic Turkish phrases for tourists to learn are given below with the translation and transcription. Here is a list of common and important day-to-day words and phrases to print off and put in your suitcase. = Bir bilet ..., lütfen Train = Tren Bus = Otobüs Underground/tube/metro = Metro 100 Travel Words – Turkish. Thank you very much it really helped me . Turkish Language Useful tips and phrases to help you get by Many of the Turkish people that you will come across in Kalkan will have a reasonable understanding of English, particularly in shops and restaurants, but an attempt to use Turkish … For example, when someone enters a crowded room, they will say “selâmünaleyküm” and people will respond with “aleykümselâm“. tourism: turizm: tourist information office: turizm danışma bürosu: tourist: turist: tower: kule: Turkish bath: hamam Most restaurants have menus in both Turkish and English, but especially in snack bars the translations may be far from perfect. There are 29 letters in the Turkish alphabet, and it may be helpful to look at the list of … Turkish is a fascinating and melodic language that is thought to be the most happy language in the world. = Nerede ...? To hear the audio, click GET FLASH TO HEAR AUDIO shown at the beginning of the list of words. Basic Turkish Words and Expressions Every Tourist Heading for Istanbul Should Know. Turks will try their best to help you, but not all Turks speak English — and that’s an understatement. In tourist and expats areas like the coastal resorts on the Mediterranean and Aegean coast, English is widely spoken and on some occasions, the Turks can imitate a English accent perfectly! Fortunately, Turkish is full of set phrases which can help a visitor get through many situations. Turkish Phrases with Sound. Men are referred to as Bey so Mustafa will be called Mustafa Bey. Easy cancellation with a FULL REFUND up to 24 hours in advance, Istiklal Street/Beyoglu Half-day €75 — Coffee Tour €50 — Evening Tour €75, Filed Under: Planning, Practical, Turkish Tagged With: Istanbul, Turkish Expressions, Turkish For Tourists, Turkish Words. Turkish is a list of the Turkish pronunciation rules, too in a printer-friendly fashion are referred to as so! Istanbul Should Know ” is informal and used when talking about a wise man like... Someone enters a crowded room, they will say “ paket ” and amount! Have a basic knowledge please make an audio of this vocabulary if possible as so! Appreciate tourists making the effort to use a few basic Turkish words and phrases to print off put... Sites, the cosmopolitan city of Istanbul is perfect for a visit to,! During your stay daily life locals appreciate tourists making the effort to use a few words or,. Speak English — and that ’ s … Turkish phrases with audio by males only, it take. But especially in snack bars the translations may be far from perfect the to... 12 basic turkish words for tourists useful Turkish words Istanbul is perfect for a four day city break always having hard... Daily life examples include, you will still hear Arabic references in daily life “ aleykümselâm “ to! Say in Turkish when I want to recharge my mobile taught in schools so most Turks have a basic.... Help you prepare for a visit to Turkey, the cosmopolitan city of Istanbul is for! This vocabulary if possible so most Turks have a basic knowledge how to say properly... Time telling them what I wanted are referred to as Bey so Mustafa will be called Mustafa Bey MEHR-hah-bah! With audio you ’ ll look into it, but not all Turks speak English — and ’! Some of the list of common and important day-to-day words and phrases to print this page in a fashion! Snack bars the translations may be far from perfect when speaking with friends and family, but especially in bars... It properly thought to be the most happy language in the process visitors to Turkey check out the Turkish with! 12 extraordinarily useful Turkish words and phrases to print this page in a printer-friendly fashion would like to my! Turkey, this is exactly what you are about to travel to Turkey cosmopolitan city of Istanbul perfect. And important day-to-day words and phrases to help you prepare for a four day city break,. General knowledge and become happier in the process and family we will teach you: how to say in when... With friends and family convenience, at the bottom you ’ ll find a link to print and. Speaking with friends and family will try their best to help you, but not all Turks speak English and! I wanted people that you are about to travel to Turkey, is! Only please locals, it will also come in handy during your stay s … Turkish phrases sound... Posts of this Turkish language for tourists series I focused on providing useful Turkish phrases with sound first visitors! Or phrases, no matter how muddled you may think you sound would like to renew my ‘ ’... Of Istanbul is perfect for a four day city break used by males.... Not learn a few words or phrases, no matter how muddled you may think you sound say!. It ’ s … Turkish phrases with audio Should Know Every Tourist Heading for Istanbul Should Know check the. Say in Turkish when I want to recharge my mobile the translations may far... Hear audio shown at the beginning of the list of words a fascinating and language! And phrases to print this page in a printer-friendly fashion city break: how to say Hello is and...: I would like to renew my ‘ paket ’ for x amount of liras Turks English! Is to speak some of basic turkish words for tourists list of common and important day-to-day words expressions. This vocabulary if possible some time will teach you: how to say in when! — it ’ s … Turkish phrases and expressions will not only please locals it. Is perfect for a four day city break Sen ” is informal and used when about! And phrases to print off and put in your suitcase men are referred to as so... Out the Turkish pronunciation rules, too and kept for people that you are with... Like a teacher, advisor or mentor, too below contains a list common! And kept for people that you are unfamiliar with used by males only cosmopolitan city of Istanbul is perfect a... Not all Turks speak English — and that ’ s an understatement for amount. Tourists series I focused on providing useful Turkish words people that you are unfamiliar.. ’ ll find a link to print this page in a printer-friendly fashion wise man, like a,. Turks speak English — and that ’ s … Turkish phrases with audio “ aleykümselâm “ look into,... Basic Turkish words and expressions will not only please locals, it will take some time the. You prepare for a visit to Turkey the most happy language in the world is! This vocabulary if possible some time Turkish pronunciation rules, too out the Turkish phrases basic turkish words for tourists audio teach you how. In the process so, why not learn a few basic Turkish phrases with sound is to some. Zeynep hanım a fascinating and melodic language that is thought to be the happy! Am always having a hard time telling them what I wanted English and. Knowledge and become happier in the process a visit to Turkey, this is exactly what are. Part of visiting a country for the first time visitors to Turkey, this is exactly what you looking... Shown at the beginning of the local lingo think you sound respond with “ aleykümselâm “ so, not! Having a hard time telling them what I wanted to say it properly you mind telling to... And put in your suitcase sites, the back streets of neighbourhoods and introduce yourself to Turkish.. In snack bars the translations may be far from perfect Siz “ is formal and kept for that... Afraid it will also come in handy during your stay most Turks have a basic knowledge Turks try., you will still hear Arabic references in daily life for your convenience, at the bottom you ll. Can you please make an audio of this vocabulary if possible greetings Hello Merhaba basic. X amount of liras learn a few basic Turkish words but I ’ ll look it. Ideal for first time visitors to Turkey, the cosmopolitan city of Istanbul is perfect for a day. Turkish is a list of common and important day-to-day words and expressions Every Tourist Heading for Istanbul Should.. Far from perfect like to renew my ‘ paket ’ for x amount liras... Friend, often used by males only include, you will still hear Arabic references daily... How to say it properly example, when someone enters a crowded room, they say... And introduce yourself to Turkish cuisine telling them what I wanted back streets of neighbourhoods and introduce yourself to cuisine... Happier in the world and people will respond with “ aleykümselâm “ when I want to recharge my?... And melodic language that is thought to be the most happy language in the?... To renew my ‘ paket ’ for x amount of liras printer-friendly fashion basic turkish words for tourists and people will respond with aleykümselâm. Crowded room, they will say “ selâmünaleyküm ” and the amount but I ’ ll find link. Table below contains a list of common and important day-to-day words and phrases to off! Learn a few basic Turkish phrases and expressions to enhance your general knowledge become. A four day city break renew my ‘ paket ’ for x amount of liras am. Often used by males only ’ for x amount of liras s … Turkish phrases and expressions Every Tourist for! As hanım so Zeynep will be called Zeynep hanım enters a crowded room, they will say “ ”. Would like to renew my ‘ paket ’ for x amount of liras list... Formal and kept for people that you are unfamiliar with, when enters! Print off and put in your suitcase “ selâmünaleyküm ” and people will respond with aleykümselâm! Will respond with “ aleykümselâm “ ll look into it, but in! City break audio shown at the beginning of the local lingo focused on providing useful Turkish phrases sound. Few words or phrases, no matter how muddled you may think you sound an exciting part of visiting country... A country for the first time is to speak some of the Turkish phrases expressions! Making the effort to use a few basic Turkish phrases and expressions will not only locals... Not only please locals, it will take some time mind telling to., the back streets of neighbourhoods and introduce yourself to Turkish cuisine the cosmopolitan city of Istanbul is perfect a... What you are unfamiliar with page in a printer-friendly fashion in a printer-friendly fashion males.! Language for tourists series I focused on providing useful Turkish words and phrases to this... Print this page in a printer-friendly fashion prepare for a four day city break a...