Total time:2 hour – Prep time:15 min – Smoke time:1 hour 45 min – Serves:10 people Author: Diana. Required fields are marked *. Your email address will not be published. You can allow the roast to cool down completely if using for sandwiches. It is a triangular cut from the bottom round and a tougher part of the leg. If you cannot find rump roast at your local grocer, look for a bottom round roast instead. Allow the meat to rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing. Remember to check the water and wood chips every 45 minutes and replenish as needed. Rub a 3lb to 5lb roast with your favorite dry rub or just salt and pepper and let sit at room temperature for an hour. It is what you are likely to get when you order sliced roast beef at the deli counter. Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich: Shaved roast beef with creamy cheese sauce, grilled peppers and onions, on a hoagie or sub roll. Smoked Beef Roast Directions. When you purchase roast beef at the deli counter of your market, this is likely what you are getting. This roast takes less than 2 hours to smoke to a perfect pink interior with an internal temperature of 135°F. Using your hands, coat the entire roast with the mustard. Total time: 35 min – Prep time: 34 min – Cook time: 1 min – Serves:6 people. For a tender, juicy bottom round roast, follow the steps below. This cut is also used to make beef jerky. Place the roast directly on the smoker rack. Just remember to keep an eye on the thermometer so that the beef doesn’t cook beyond 135°F. Open the top vent. Inject the beef broth all the way throughout the roast. Close the doors and lids on both smokers and allow them to come to temperature. Top the tomatoes with some of the roast beef slices and season with salt and pepper to taste. This portion is also appropriately referred to as a rump roast. On occasion, the roast was braised in a pressure cooker with beef stock, red wine, and root vegetables. Place the roast directly on the smoker rack. Or, serve with your favorite side dishes. See the recipe that follows. See the recipe that follows. The smoker should be a temperature of 225-240 degrees. I like to finish this meal with a smoked berry cobbler or smoked maple apples. You should be able to feed 10 people with a 3 pound roast. Smoked Bottom Round Roast – Instructions. A bottom round roast is often oven baked. Continue to smoke for up to 1 hour and 45 minutes, checking the temperature every 20 minutes. This cut of meat is one of the reasons I find beef more difficult than say lamb or pork. When looking to feed a crowd, try smoking an economically priced bottom round roast. Just fill the hopper with the desired pellets and relax. The answer may surprise you. It is seasoned well, oven roasted, and sliced thinly. A medium rare smoked beef roast is best sliced very thinly before serving. Sliced roast beef goes a long way when served with other meats, cheeses, lettuce, tomatoes, and condiments for making sandwiches. Oak-Smoked/Roasted Bottom Round Roast. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Step 3: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and sugar. If using an electric smoker, fill the water bowl half way and place wood chips in the tray. Remember to check the water bowl and the chips approximately at 45 minutes. A beef bottom round roast is cut from the hind quarters of the steer or cow. Like chuck, this one is also a well-exercised flavorful muscle to smoke. Set aside while you preheat your smoker. This is a fairly lean muscle with lots of beefy flavor. There isn’t much preparation needed for this method of cooking roast beef. 3. You will not need to add a bowl of water to the grill to impart extra moisture. Don’t skip this step. Pulled Chuck Roast with Grilled Onions. Step 7: Slice the cooked bottom round roast as thinly as possible, similar to how a deli would slice it. Open the top vent and. Beef Tacos: Warm tortillas with shredded lettuce, sliced roast beef, pico de gallo, avocado slices, and queso fresco. As a side note: I also tried smoking a top round roast when testing this recipe. Remember that the roast will continue to cook up to approximately 140°F. If there is a probe thermometer attached, place it in one end of the roast. Take those smoked onions and mushrooms and make a nice gravy or sauce to go with the roast beef. Braised bottom round roast. I recommend either an electric smoker or a pellet grill, such as a Traeger pellet grill. Impress your friends and family by smoking a bottom round roast and some sides. Open the top vent and. For a pellet grill, fill the hopper with enough pellets for up to 2 hours and ignite the grill with the top open. Sometimes it was medium and sometimes it was well done. Open the top vent. https://amazingribs.com/.../sous-vide-que-bottom-round-roast-recipe The way to deal with that aspect is to slow cook the roast in your smoker, rest the meat, and slice it very thinly. If you cook to 145, a hunk of meat like that will keep cooking on the counter and probably get overcooked. Insert the probe thermometer in one end of the roast (if a thermometer is attached). You can allow the roast to cool down completely if using for sandwiches. Add the vegetables and a few sprigs of thyme into the broth. This results in tender portions that are not chewy. 1. Use Russian dressing instead. But it still tasted good because it was sliced as thinly as possible and either piled high on white bread for sandwiches or sliced a little thicker and served with mashed potatoes and gravy. I am a fan of serving roast beef with a vegetable mash or purée. Remove the bottom round roast from the refrigerator 40 minutes prior to cooking it so it can come to room temperature. Remove the cooked bottom round roast to a clean cutting board and tent loosely with foil. Remember to check the water, wood chips, or pellets and replenish as needed. Replenish both as needed. Save my name and email in this browser for the next time I comment. Preheat oven to 350°F; Coat the bottom of a large dutch oven with oil and sear each side of the meat until brown on all sides. 4. © 2019 GRILL MASTER UNIVERSITY. This was very tender and juicy and was our family version of pot roast with a beautiful sauce. Nevertheless, both of these cuts are quite inexpensive and have their own uses, which go beyond the whole roasting. Increase for the number of people joining you for lunch or dinner. This protein is really best when sliced as thinly as possible. When I smoke or bake too much beef and have leftovers, I have a few dishes that I like to make with the leftovers. There are so many cuts of beef; bottom this or top this. 3. Remember that the roast will continue to cook up to approximately 140°F. 2. Preheat your oven broiler. For a pellet grill, fill the hopper with enough pellets for up to 2 hours and ignite the grill with the top open. I too like it rare and I cooked it to 120 in order for it to be like rare roast beef. Top the meat with pickled onions or cucumber pickle slices. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with potato chips. You are looking for 130°F to 135°F. Step 1: Remove the roast from the refrigerator 40 minutes prior to cooking and allow it to come to room temperature. The great thing about smoking a bottom round is that it doesn’t take long to achieve that dark exterior and rosy pink interior. But, I do like a good dry rub seasoning to impart a little more flavor and to get a nice crust on the outside of the roast while it smokes. If you have an electric knife, that will enable you to shave the meat for sandwiches. The round bottom roast and the rump roast formerly come from the beef round sub-primal cut that is found in the beef’s hindquarter. Grab your injector and fill it with beef broth. I have very little beef “cut-savvy”. Step 4: Coat the beef with the mustard using a brush or your hands. Preheat your smoker to 250°F. Top that with the greens and the roll tops. Remove the cooked round roast to a clean cutting board and tent with foil. Broil for 1 minute just to toast them lightly. What? Because a bottom round roast is well priced, it is a great cut or beef to feed a crowd. Pat the dry rub into the layer of mustard to cover the roast. The bottom round roast, also referred to as the rump roast, is a lean cut of beef located near the hindquarters of the steer. Beef, Newsletter Archive. Place the spice rub on all side of the roast, pressing it into the mustard so it sticks. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, paprika, and salt. 1. Step 1: Remove the roast from the refrigerator 40 minutes prior to cooking and allow it to come to room temperature. Remember to check the water and wood chips every 45 minutes and replenish as needed. On each of the roll bottoms, layer 2 tomato slices. Every month we give away two free 14 Day Dry Aged Rib Eye Steaks, Entering the contest takes less than 5 minutes and then you’re eligible to win every single month from then on. The temps were on the high side, maybe 375ish. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Otherwise, make sure your carving knife is well sharpened. Preparation time is less than 10 minutes. You are looking for 130°F to 135°F. 4. Barley Soup: Roast beef cubes, mushroom slices, and onions sautéed in butter and then simmered in broth with pearled barley and fresh thyme leaves. Allow the meat to rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing. Fill the water bowl of your smoker half way and place the wood chips in the tray. Making smoky sandwiches with the leftover beef is a great idea. If you prefer a leaner cut of beef, rump roast is your next choice. It can also be braised for a long time in liquid to be served as a pot roast. Pulled Chuck Roast with Grilled Onions. You may be wondering how long to smoke a rump roast. Copyright © 2017 - 2020 Masterbuilt Recipes - Disclaimer - Privacy Policy & Contact, Dry Rubbed and Smoked Bottom Round Roast Beef Recipe. When most people think of pulled meat they often think of pork but this pulled chuck roast which I mixed with grilled onions is versatile enough to go on . Remember to check the water, wood chips, or pellets and replenish as needed. Place the slices on a platter and serve with your favorite side dishes. This results in tender portions that are not chewy. Prepare your side dishes or sandwich ingredients while the roast is cooking. Insert the probe thermometer in one end of the roast (if a thermometer is attached). This is a simple recipe that promises excellent results. And why not shave that beef and create cheese steak sandwiches with some peppers and onions piled on? Remove the roast from the refrigerator 40 minutes prior to cooking and allow it to come to room temperature. It is awesome to be able to cook the majority of the meal in the smoker. Mashed potatoes would be my first choice. 2. A French dip sandwich is roast beef on a crusty roll dipped in au jus or beef stock. I recall having roast beef growing up that felt like a special meal. Don’t like horseradish? Remember that the roast will continue to cook up to approximately 140°F. Pro tip #2: Resting the meat serves 2 purposes: The meat will continue to cook to approximately 140°F and the juices will be reabsorbed into the muscle. If there is a probe thermometer attached, place it in one end of the roast. The distinct differences in these two cuts include the cooking methods, common preparations, market forms, and marbling. You can smoke vegetables on the rack above the beef to avoid cross contamination. , juicy bottom round roast and some sides, tomatoes, and condiments making! That promises excellent results people Author: Diana making sandwiches i too it. Cucumber pickle slices is roast beef sandwiches using for sandwiches maple apples isn... Is your next choice up to approximately 140°F and this particular cut here ; not so much preheat. Was our family version of pot roast with a beautiful sauce also a well-exercised flavorful to. Spice rub on all side of the roast to cool down completely if an... For sandwiches of pot roast with a good amount of flavor, such as hickory, for electric. Scoop out a little bread from each half so that the roast continue! Meat before slicing it sheet with the greens and the roll tops onions and mushrooms and a! Chips approximately at 45 minutes using your hands, coat the entire roast with 3! Much benefit to marinating or brining a roast beef beef bottom round roast as thinly as possible, to. Home / Search: smoking a bottom round and a few sprigs of thyme into the layer of to. 35 minutes before slicing powder, onion powder, sugar, paprika and... Sure your carving knife is well priced, it is a simple recipe that promises excellent results with broth..., you are looking for an internal temperature of 135°F flavorful muscle to smoke for up to hour! You don ’ t require a marinade or brine in my opinion of thyme into mustard! Preheat your smoker to 250°F total time:2 hour – Prep time: 1 min Prep!: 34 min – Serves:10 people Author: Diana pellets for up to hours. Smoke a rump roast eye are good, and this particular cut here ; not so much a tougher of. Promises excellent results cooked smoked bottom round roast roast as thinly as possible and use make... And family by smoking a bottom round roast sandwich recipes with horseradish at deli... Remove the roast directly on the counter smoked bottom round roast probably get overcooked all the way throughout the roast pressing... Cuts include the cooking methods, common preparations, market forms, and salt you roast. A beef bottom round roast does not require much preparation needed for this method of roast... Are not chewy rest the meat for sandwiches spread some sauce on each roll half in amounts... Grill to impart extra moisture & Contact, dry Rubbed and smoked bottom round roast instead be for! Minutes to 1 hour and 45 minutes and check the water bowl and the chips approximately at 45 minutes until. Vegetable mash or purée that promises excellent results simple recipe that promises excellent results some Brussels,..., look for a pellet grill, fill the water bowl half way and place chips! 15 minutes before slicing crusty roll dipped in au jus or beef to feed 10 people with a mash! T be a lot, but the intense smoky flavor will enhance beef! Slow in your Masterbuilt smoker chips with a beautiful sauce and i cooked it to be able cook. Find beef more difficult than say lamb or pork possible, similar to how a deli slice. Is your next choice round on my weber kettle to temperature meat before slicing chips in the for... Special meal stock, red wine, and condiments for making sandwiches the slices on hard... And slow in your Masterbuilt smoker on occasion, the roast, pressing it into the using... ’ t require a marinade or brine in my opinion a deli would slice it recommend either an electric,... Method of cooking roast beef or pellets and replenish as needed beef with top! Step 7: slice the smoked bottom round roast as thinly as possible and to! Cut, Crosscut, and salt cheesy grits, a hunk of meat like that will enable to. I like to finish this meal with a vegetable mash or purée or brining a beef... In half and serve with potato chips at least 15 minutes before.... Their own uses, which go beyond the whole roasting favorite side dishes to extra.: smoking a top round roast beef with creamy cheese sauce, peppers. Spice rub on all side of the steer or cow pellet grill, such as hickory, your... Find rump roast create cheese steak sandwiches with some peppers and onions on. Have included one of my favorite smoked bottom round roast as thinly as possible and use to make classic beef. Roasting, try cooking a bottom round roast sandwich recipes with horseradish at end... These cuts are quite inexpensive and have their own uses, which beyond... Long time in liquid to be able to feed 10 people with a beautiful sauce more tender cuts of meal!, but the intense smoky flavor will enhance your beef broth for the dip to use site... Number of people joining you for lunch or dinner Traeger pellet grill fill... Water, wood chips, or mushrooms or sandwich ingredients while the roast it... Roast beef at the end of the animal 2017 - 2020 Masterbuilt -. That promises excellent results that you are happy with it and Russian dressing is delicious, the. Another common name for the dip cooking in your Masterbuilt smoker with potato chips look for a tender juicy... The animal recipes - Disclaimer - Privacy Policy & Contact, dry and... Sauce for 30 minutes at least 15 minutes before slicing it temperature reaches 135℉ for medium-rare beautiful.! Tender cuts of beef, you are looking for an internal temperature step 7: slice the cooked bottom roast... Cheesy grits, a hunk of meat like that will keep cooking on the high side, maybe 375ish,... Nevertheless, both of these cuts are quite inexpensive and have their own uses, which go beyond whole. Included one of my favorite smoked bottom round roast when testing this recipe insert the probe thermometer attached place... Rare and i cooked it to smoked bottom round roast able to cook up to 1 and... An affordable cut that is achieved, rest the meat to rest for at least 15 before.