It is a crazy film, western or not, with Crawford at her scariest and oddest looking. Women replace men as the main protagonists and by giving everything a very artificial feel (use of color, especially the anarchic use of the colors red, white, black and the muting of blue) and resorting to operatic excess, Ray conjurs up a film of many layers of interpretation.

Every scene barring the outside chase scenes feels like an operatic set-piece and it would be easy to criticise the film for being too over the top (I can readily understand American 1954 audiences laughing at the time). Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 25 November 2010. This 1954 Nicholas Ray western must be ranked as one of the very best on grounds of originality alone. They obviously only have a very small library of recordings that survived so the songs get played again & again.

Better than expected, it has become one of my three favorite American made western from before 1970, alongside John Ford's The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch. You're nothing but a railroad tramp who's not fit to live amongst decent people. The sharp picture and lush colors really stick out and excite the senses. It's all been said...hasn't it? Johnny Guitar is out of Republic Pictures and is directed by Nicholas Ray. Johnny Guitar [DVD] Joan Crawford (Actor), Sterling Hayden (Actor), Nicholas Ray (Director, Producer, Writer) & Rated: Parental Guidance Format: DVD. severe haircut, bushy eyebrows), but the storyline is SO BAD it is good ... if you know what I mean. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. It's written by Phillip Yordan, who adapts from a novel written by Roy Chanslor, and it stars Joan Crawford, Sterling Hayden, Mercedes McCambridge, Ward Bond, Ernest Borgnine & Scott Brady.Victor Young scores the music, with the theme tune sung by Peggy Lee, and Harry Stradling Senior photographs in Trucolor.

But I had no idea the movie itself was done so well and was such a riveting story. Amazon's Choice recommends highly rated and well-priced products. It's all been said...hasn't it? Where Ennio Morricone invokes Wagner with his use of leitmotifs, giving each character a different theme, Ray invokes Verdi and Puccini with the film's 'chorus' scenes (the first group encounter at "Vienna's" is long and especially reminiscent of the Verdi of say Simon Boccanegra) and intimate arias and duets between characters, the composer Victor Young's music sweeping the action along with tremendous subtlety and gushing drama when required.

It also analyses reviews to verify trustworthiness. Reviewed in the United States on July 19, 2020. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 16 March 2014. © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

The DVD Trucolour is good as is the sound, plus English Subtitles. The DVD is budget priced, so grab it if you can. The sharp picture and lush colors really stick out and excite the senses.

I have to recomend this as "essential viewing" to anyone who loves cinema, and western fans will find much to enjoy. Recommended to all lovers of westerns. Shane by Alan Ladd DVD $8.99. Unable to add item to List. Crawford by her own admission hated this film.

You can still see all customer reviews for the product. I have to recomend this as "essential viewing" to anyone who loves cinema, and western fans will find much to enjoy. the song "Johnny Guitar" again is a favourite leading me to buy a Peggy Lee cd with that song on it together with others and the whole of the song is heard compared to only part of it at the end of the film. you can see how much disgust she has for the other female gang leader boss. In Stock. Closely rivaled by McCambridge who really does scare you she is so ANGRY. Wonder why Nicholas Ray took it on!! Bound (Olive Signature Collection) [Blu-ray], Daughters of Darkness (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + CD), The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection [Blu-ray], Night of the Grizzly [Olive Signature Blu-ray], Stanley Kubrick: Visionary Filmmaker Collection. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. What I like is the perhaps mysterious fact of the cast of truly great western character actors who all seem a bit out of place...Borgnine/Dano/Ben Cooper as Brady's gang. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 22 July 2017. The DVD Trucolour is good as is the sound, plus English Subtitles. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. One of my favourite western movies of all time with Joan Crawford playing the major part. This 1954 Nicholas Ray western must be ranked as one of the very best on grounds of originality alone. Prime Video £3.49 — £7.99 Blu-ray £19.41 DVD £1.81 VHS Tape from £3.75 Additional DVD … Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 1 September 2018. Verified Purchase. Every scene barring the outside chase scenes feels like an operatic set-piece and it would be easy to criticise the film for being too over the top (I can readily understand American 1954 audiences laughing at the time). Visconti enthusiasts would probably love it, too. Visconti enthusiasts would probably love it, too. The film was a huge influence on Sergio Leone in Once Upon a Time in the West, with characters named after musical instruments, a story revolving around the building of a railroad community and by the use of operatic conventions. Note: you may purchase only one copy of this product. In stock on October 25, 2020. It is a crazy film, western or not, with Crawford at her scariest and oddest looking. It is a crazy film, western or not, with Crawford at her scariest and oddest looking. It's written by Phillip Yordan, who adapts from a novel written by Roy Chanslor, and it stars Joan Crawford, Sterling Hayden, Mercedes McCambridge, Ward Bond, Ernest Borgnine & Scott Brady.Victor Young scores the music, with the theme tune sung by Peggy Lee, and Harry Stradling Senior photographs in Trucolor. Please try again. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 22 July 2017. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Joan Crawford looks to have stepped straight out of a silent film (I thought also of Gloria Swanson in Wilder's Sunset Boulevard) while Mercedes McCambridge plays an evil harridan as if she was Countess Eboli from Verdi's Don Carlos or the Wicked Witch of the West from Fleming's The Wizard of Oz - take your pick! Ray's treatment of the script is entirely tied to its content as is shown by the fact that his other westerns are treated so differently. Recommended to all lovers of westerns. The film was a huge influence on Sergio Leone in Once Upon a Time in the West, with characters named after musical instruments, a story revolving around the building of a railroad community and by the use of operatic conventions. Below, more of my impressions, with some limited SPOILERS. 5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Guitar dvd. Recommended to all lovers of westerns. Closely rivaled by McCambridge who really does scare you she is so ANGRY. Ray's treatment of the script is entirely tied to its content as is shown by the fact that his other westerns are treated so differently. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 23 June 2017. In left corner, wearing red, Vienna the Tramp. I've always been a sucker for Happily Ever After. In left corner, wearing red, Vienna the Tramp. I had the idea it much more B than A. I'll tell you one thing, I can't remember the last time I hated a woman in a movie so much as that bloodthirsty psycho Emma.

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 23 June 2017. Customers who … Wonder why Nicholas Ray took it on!! Sorry, there was a problem saving your cookie preferences. Sold by Francies corner market and ships from Amazon Fulfillment. © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders. That is beside the point for me, for without the use of operatic excess and melodrama Ray would not have been able to create his fabulously original mythic landscape which prompts all those different sub-texts which have engrossed film experts (critics and directors alike) ever since it came out. I try and view it as a "Western with a difference" and leave the theorising to others.

Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. These have been elucidated elsewhere by other reviewers. Sorry, there was a problem saving your cookie preferences. There's a problem loading this menu at the moment. Whether you see it as feminist tract, Freudian psycho-investigation or McCarthy allegory, it all amounts to an engrossing, fascinating Western experience like no other. Johnny Guitar is out of Republic Pictures and is directed by Nicholas Ray. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 15 September 2014. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. As Martin Scorsese points out in his introduction on the DVD the film breaks all of the rules of the genre, emphasizing emotion and melodramatic excess over the usual classic (re Fordian) simplicity of the Wild West. As for the DVD itself, the quality is fine. Great transfer interesting western.great extras with commentary track. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. These items are shipped from and sold by different sellers. The acting is extraordinarily melodramatic, especially that of the two leading ladies. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 2 February 2018. I liked this atypical and deservedly famous 1954 western. Add it to your Crawford library and admire how bad films got the green light back in the day. Visconti enthusiasts would probably love it, too. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 4 November 2017. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 9 August 2013. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Where Ennio Morricone invokes Wagner with his use of leitmotifs, giving each character a different theme, Ray invokes Verdi and Puccini with the film's 'chorus' scenes (the first group encounter at "Vienna's" is long and especially reminiscent of the Verdi of say Simon Boccanegra) and intimate arias and duets between characters, the composer Victor Young's music sweeping the action along with tremendous subtlety and gushing drama when required. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 14 May 2013. Below, more of my impressions, with some limited SPOILERS. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. Try again. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 9 August 2013. Not only does it feature Joan as she started to look more masculine in her career (ie. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. It also analyses reviews to verify trustworthiness. Females are the lead characters in this western and men objects they manipulate at will. Unable to add item to List. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. To me this western was a surprise. Clark Gable - The Signature Collection (Dancing Lady / China Seas / San Francisco /... To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. The song gives the idea that Johnny dies in the end. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 14 May 2013.