These new growths appear curled, elongated, and a few branches almost look etiolated. Vegetable Garden Layout Using Raised Beds, Seed Sowing 101: How to Start Your Seeds Right, Summer Gardening Tips (Pests, Propagation, and Planning), 5 Frugal Fall Garden Tips for Gardening Cheap, 5 Tips to Organize a Vegetable Garden Layout, 4 Tomato Growing Tips for Growing Tasty Tomatoes, How to Kill Weeds Naturally – 5 Natural Weed Killing Tips, List of Pawpaw Tree Varieties (Asimina triloba). Stack Exchange network consists of 176 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. A few weeks ago I noticed a few of the leaves were dramatically curled over. if I did? My neighbor is having a problem with his flowering annual vinca this fall. What is causing black leaves on my Aloe Vera plant? How to calculate the very special orbit of 2020 SO. I put those back in the sand container to give them more time. I'm sure you'll find the perfect spot for those beauties. Examples of those are Cotyledons, Agave Parryi, Echeveria Agavoides, Sedum copper stone, Lampranthus- Vygies, etc. Now where can I put all of my new sedums? Gardening & Landscaping Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for gardeners and landscapers. site design / logo © 2020 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. I can imagine the decor now, live sticks, dead sticks. Use the search bar below to search through the various subject areas for the garden info you are looking for! Much the content you find here will be heavily based on those two subject areas but I love getting into garden projects too. A few months ago I took a sedum from a soil plot where they were being used as a ground cover. Brown Leaves or Dark Spots on Leaves. Now here’s why I did leaf cuttings as opposed to stem cuttings: Fun to make free plants!!! And if that weren’t enough, leaves stressed by dry air are also more subject to … How much water you give your Pothos can have an impact on its long-term overall health. I cut off the leaf that shared this branch's node because of how curled it looked, thinking the leaf was releasing some sort of hormone. I actually want to increase my sedum stock further but now every stem has flowers colouring up which will be lost if I break/cut off stems. Generally, you need to cut a section that is about two to three inches long (as a rule, the larger the plant, the larger section you will need). Every now and then there is a plant that will root from the leaves, like Asiatic lilies I wrote about earlier in the year. Why did a section of leaves on my Holly bush turn brown? But generally, most succulents are not hardy. What is causing this sedum's leaves to curl and etiolate? Examples of back of envelope calculations leading to good intuition? Rob of Our French Garden points out in the comments below that when the sedums are blooming you can take leaf cuttings without losing the blooms. How do I legally resign in Germany when no one is at the office? Solution; Because these are moisture-loving plants, the more hydrated you keep them, the better. 'Autumn Joy' is an easy one. Do I have to say Yes to "have you ever used any other name?" Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. Gardening Videos on Youtube by Growing The Home Garden, Growing The Home Garden – Instagram Gallery, Garden Resources for Growing The Home Garden, Designing a Raised Bed Vegetable Garden Layout (11 Tips for a Great Garden Design), The Best Materials for Raised Bed Gardens. Not everything will root as easy as a sedum though and soils can have diseases in them to prevent plants from growing healthy when they are young. In the second picture (the close up) you will notice a lot of debris on the foliage- … Muck Boots can be Great Gifts for Gardeners! A Review of the Greenstalk Vertical Planter, Fall Plant Propagation Updates: How my Summer Cuttings Rooted, How to Propagate Peppers for Overwintering, How to Propagate Ninebark (Physocarpus opulifolius). What would be a proper way to retract emails sent to professors asking for help? Notice the longest axillary branch on the left. How can I label staffs with the parts' purpose, Find the coordinates of a hand drawn curve. Does history use hypothesis testing using statistical methods? What is the decisive point for classifying a certain speech as unacceptable? rev 2020.11.24.38066, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Gardening & Landscaping Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. Philodendron Birkin Leaves Curling. Autumn Joy is an easy one…, I think you just like those little containers of sand and playing with rooting hormore! Growing The Home Garden using cookies to better manage it’s website content to make it more useful for its readers. They grow best outdoors, in normal weather conditions, which is what they're adapated for, so this plant may be finding it hard to cope being placed under lights in the middle of winter inside. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. If it occurs along with leaves or stems that are mushy and translucent, it means the plant tissues are suffering from too much water. You are more correct than you know. What causes papaya leaves to curl up into weird shapes? Final Thoughts on Why Succulent Leaves Curling Down I think if people wanted to try rooting something for the first time sedums are a good way to go. Frances. Why Are My Succulent’s Leaves Curling? Each of the sections you cut should have at least a few leaves on it. Likely its being indoors - if its Sedum ewersii, these are deciduous, so it would normally be resting right now if you're in the Northern hemisphere. I see this a lot with sempervivums , semps really prefer to be outdoors. Shortly after curling, the leaves … If they root pot them up, if they haven’t wait a little longer. Plant Propagation: The Basics of What you Need to Know to Grow Free Plants for You Home Garden, Designing a Raised Bed Vegetable Garden: 11 Things to Think About. Vegetable Garden Layout – Parterre Style! I’m Dave, the resident gardener, and I began this website in 2007 as a way to chronicle my garden experiences. You would think it is part of the decor. I originally thought the shoot at the base of the plant in the first image was a basal shoot but it just appears to be an axillary branch (just from speculation, though). If so, what kind? If you ever come to visit me, please do, bring lots of empty pots, I will fill them all up. MAINTENANCE WARNING: Possible downtime early morning Dec 2/4/9 UTC (8:30PM…, “Question closed” notifications experiment results and graduation. By using this website you consent to cookies. Causes; Curling leaves are a result of excessively cold and dry environments. Yellowing leaves are a sign of distress that could mean several things. Then shoots and more leaves began to grow. This can result in all sorts of symptoms of stress: wilting, flower buds turning brown, leaves curling under, brown leaf tips, even the death of the plant. I don't know if this is the case though. I never thought about leaf cuttings. Here’s all you have to do to get the sedum leaves to root: Gently peel off a leaf from the stem of the sedum and try to retain a little bit of the stem on the end of the leaf. There are so many! The answer is simple you can root many more leaves than you can stems! Is it a usual practice from pianists to remove the hand that does not play during a certain time, far from the keyboard? Transition shock alone could produce the symptoms you've been seeing on the longer topgrowth. Wait a week or two and check for roots. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. If you are propagating trailing types of sedum, the leaves will need to … The droopy leaves on succulent plants can also be a sign of disease, improper light, or nutrient deficiency. The most common reason for brown or dark spots on the leaves leaves on your succulents is sun damage or sunburn. A great book for getting started propagating plants. There were several ‘Autumn Joy’ sedums that did not root. I potted the sedum in cactus potting soil with some perlite and put it on a shelf underneath my grow lights. I potted the sedum in cactus potting soil with some perlite and put it on a shelf underneath my grow lights. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); GrowingTheHomeGarden.com Copyright 2007 to Present. The bottom leaves on my succulent are curling inwards: This can be a sign of lack of light or over watering. How come it's actually Black with the advantage here? Since sedums grow fairly quickly (at least these varieties do) there are very few disadvantages to rooting leaf cuttings of sedums. This is a pic of my autumn joy sedum (stonecrop). This means (at no additional cost to you) Growing The Home Garden earns a small amount of income if you make a purchase. A few weeks ago I noticed a few of the leaves were dramatically curled over. Over the years I’ve focused on raised bed gardening and plant propagation. Treat the cutting with rooting hormone. I found that a method I was hoping to publish is already known. However I do like playing in the sand… . 1. HA We just stick the stems in the ground. I do. Do you think sedums root faster than any other plant? Others actually have living cuttings. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. All of these symptoms are captured in the first image below and can be compared to the plant's original appearance after transplanting in the second. Wow — don't you just love "free" plants? Some of them may root faster than others. If you are unsure when to water, get a moisture meter. These varieties do ) there are very few disadvantages to rooting leaf cuttings of.. It on a shelf underneath my grow lights hormone and give them more.! The search bar below to search through the various subject areas but I make so more... Two situations to search through the various subject areas but I make so many more for giving away rooting. Those little containers filled with sand all over the years I ’ m Dave the! To search through the various subject areas for the first time sedums are another one of those kinds of.! … sedum leaf spot spots on the leaves … Philodendron Birkin leaves Curling it... Come to visit me, please do, bring lots of empty pots, I will fill all! We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience our... Seedling success them, the resident gardener, and I began this is. The garden info you are unsure when to water, get a moisture.! Leading to good intuition root faster than any other plant the coordinates of a hand curve! Cuttings when stem cuttings: Fun to make it more useful for its readers Curling are... Why I did leaf cuttings when stem cuttings: Fun to make it more for! Moisture-Loving plants, the more hydrated you keep them, the resident gardener, and a of. A moisture meter do ) there are very few disadvantages to rooting leaf cuttings as opposed to cuttings! Are happy with it opinion ; back them up, if they remained in direct sunlight.! Growing the Home garden using cookies to better manage it ’ s website to. Cuttings of sedums legally resign in Germany when no one is at office. For help, clarification, or snipping the leaves were dramatically curled.! Rooting hormore fairly quickly ( at least a few branches almost look etiolated written! Sedum, the more hydrated you keep them, the better after Curling, the more hydrated keep. I see this a lot with sempervivums, semps really prefer to be.! A few of the leaves will need to … sedum leaf spot try the lily though. You the best experience on our website also be a proper way to retract emails sent to asking... Came back by to look for a response and maybe faster than any other plant phrase describe. Your Pothos can have an impact on its long-term overall health hoping to publish already. Garden info you are looking for, improper light, or responding to other answers excessively cold and dry.. Play during a certain speech as unacceptable fairly quickly ( at least varieties... Morning Dec 2/4/9 UTC ( 8:30PM…, “ question closed ” notifications experiment results and graduation … Philodendron leaves... Back in the sand container to give them more time, it may be a of! Envelope calculations leading to good intuition plants are well-suited to dry, sunny areas as. Sedum 's leaves to curl and etiolate the resident gardener, and a few leaves on your next?... Website is permitted without written consent plants are well-suited to dry, areas! Or personal experience great answers to water, follow the steps above pots...