I added the tomato to give this fish curry a little bit of sweetness to take the edge off the sourness. chopping board and knife. i have made it several times. You are most welcome ?. Heat a wide bottomed pot on medium and add half the oil. Add the mustard seed & cumin seed and stir until it starts to pop, then add the onion, garlic & ginger and sweat for about 5 minutes. Spoon raita and coconut sambal among condiment serving dishes with lime halves. Sauté for 30 seconds. Add coconut cream to curry sauce and season to taste. Merry X’mas and Happy new year. Sri Lankan canned fish stir-fry. Add the fenugreek, cumin, mustard seeds, curry leaves and chillis and fry, until aromatic. 3 cups basmati rice, washed Sprinkle over the fresh coriander leaves. Thanks May. Made it today excellent easy recipe added some rampe leaves.. used seer fish. method. This is a Sri Lankan fish curry cooked slowly (on low heat) until spices are absorbed into the fish. dani@slyrooster.com Seafood At Home with Madhur Jaffrey, curry, Madhur Jaffrey, South Asian, Sri Lanka, weeknight dinner 1 Comment. This video is about how to cook the tasty fish curry. 6 cardamom seeds, cracked Tear in the curry leaves, then give everything a good stir and cook for 8 minutes or until softened, but not coloured. I’m making good progress on this list since lockdown. With his Executive Sous Chef Saman Kumara, Julinda demonstrated this fish curry recipe step by step. This dish is named as “malu mirisata” in Sri Lanka. As I said, there can be a few variations on this dish. Sri Lankan red chilli fish curry. Ambul thiyal is a dry curry with a slightly sour taste. Sri Lankan fish curry recipe. Sri Lankan Dry Fish Curry aka “Karawala Hodi” is a super delicious creamy, tangy and salty curry made with dried fish, coconut milk, and spices. 2 medium Lebanese cucumbers halved, seeded and very finely chopped Blanch tomatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water for 10-12 seconds, transfer tomatoes to a bowl of iced water to cool, drain. I want to share with you the best recipes and things I can do. lovely clicks…, Fish curry looks yummy.. mouth-watering and perfectly made Dhanish.. Get well soon dear.. Lotts of love to your daughter.. Hugsxx. This simple fish curry is prepared with ingredients that are almost always found in Indian and Sri Lankan kitchens and is excellent served with steamed rice. Roasted to a golden perfection and ground to a fine paste with roasted spices. Be careful as the mustard seeds will start to pop. This book’s appeal … Cubed fish (usually tuna) is sautéed in a blend of spices including black pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, garlic, pandan leaves and curry leaves. Bring to the boil and cook until sweet potato is tender. Copyright 2020 My Sri Lankan Recipes. , thanks for this recipe. Your email address will not be published. I'm Dhanish and welcome to my blog "My Sri Lankan Recipes" a collection of my favorite recipes & food related thoughts! So I used the Silver Hake and the choice could not have been better. With the sweet potato – pick through and remove the cinnamon and cardamom. This flavoursome curry is one of my favourite ways to prepare Snapper. It has the flavors of so many spices – this recipe uses the SriLankan Curry powder, which I posted last week. At least one list is getting shorter, rather than longer! Canned fish curry Sri Lankan style. Wash the fish well under the running water and drain them well in a colander. Spoon rice onto plate and top with fish. Fish sothi recipe. It should be cooked but still quite firm. Place a medium size sauté pan over medium heat and add the oil. Now I would like to show it to you so that you can taste a bit of Sri Lanka at home. Happy cooking! All you need is some rice and some […] Do you love chocolate chip cookies? 1 teaspoon black pepper corns, crushed Fish curries in Sri Lanka usually feature coconut or coconut milk. In Sri Lanka everything is Coconut….how perfect for a keto diet! Tomato Garnish Put in a bowl and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon of the turmeric. The Sri Lanka trip was great because of you and the rest of the group. This dish is so Sri Lankan. 10g ghee Thanks. Add the mustard seeds, fenugreek, fennel, pepper corns, curry leaves and cinnamon stick. Anyway,as Sri Lanka is an island,we consume plenty of fish and seafood.There are different methods to cook fish as a curry and I have shared some recipes before in this post Fish Curry and in this post Sri Lankan style fish curry. I’ve always wanted to cook Jamie Oliver’s Sri Lankan Fish Curry. Fish curries in Sri Lanka usually feature coconut or coconut milk. Add green chilli, paprika, turmeric and curry powder – cook, stirring until spices start to stick to the pan. A hot and sour, peppery seafood dish that was originally developed as a way to preserve fish in the south of Sri Lanka which is now a picnic favourite of the country. That’s sounds really yum. Yes I have missed in the ingredients list. Place all ingredients into a bowl. Cooked with roasted curry powers, curry leaves, plenty of chilli and some lemongrass to boot, Sri Lankan chicken curry is a must-have when choosing curries for a rice and curry spread. 4 7ounce portions of Silver Hake or other sustainable white fish; 4 Tbsp Coconut Oil; ½ tsp mustard seeds, whole; 2 long green chiles, cut in small pieces, deseeded if you prefer a milder curry. That’s it! A lightly spiced, quick and easy coconut curry of Sri Lankan and South Indian origin, fish sothi is quite often made just with vegetables. If you like seafood, you’re in for a treat. Cook according to rice cooker instructions. So next time you can adjust accordingly. Remove sweet potato and whole spices with slotted spoon or spider and put into shallow tray to cool down quickly. I fried half the aubergine first, thinking it would add a different dimension texturally. Required fields are marked *. Join our newsletter. Pound with pestle until well mixed. ½ teaspoon sea salt, Tomato Garnish: 1 teaspoon fenugreek soaked in water Come into my world and do not forget to follow me on our social networks! It’s a creamy non-spicy fish curry even kids love. 1 handful of chopped coriander Heat the oil in a large saucepan. How to make canned fish curry. Thx.. Hi May, Will update now. 1 small red onion, very finely diced Thanks for your feedback. Thanks for trying this recipe. This is an aromatic, ‘oh so fragrant’, ‘tantalizing to the taste buds’ type of curry.! Rice Each curry has a unique blend of spices, then there are further regional variations influenced by geographical and historic factors. Pol Sambal (Coconut) Mostly we use canned Mackerel for this curry. Masoor dhal (split red lentils) are first rinsed and boiled until soft. 150g coconut cream powder mixed with 1 litre warm waterRice: Thai Green Curry Paste (from Sri Owen) Fragrant Fish Curry Chana Masala (Chickpea Curry) Red Duck Curry. Thalapath coconut milk fish curry. Add 3 cups of water and cook for 3 minutes. I have used tomato and tamarind as souring agents. You must smell the scent of the fresh coconut being roasted. HI Umesh, Spoon curry sauce into bowls and top with tomato and coriander cress. Hi Dhammika, Adding tamarind will definitely dominate the flavour, it depends on the how concentrate the tamarind. Snapper Spoon a little grated coconut over the fish and top with fried curry leaves, then place curry sauce bowl onto plate. 1 green chilli, thinly sliced into rounds Tried it today and it’s really delicious. My version of Sri Lanka fish curry is a milder, aromatic dish that aims to bring a little taste of Sri Lanka … In Sri Lanka, most of the fish curries used to be cooked in an earthenware pot (Clay pot). Octopus with Surf Clams and Udon Noodle Salad, Prawns with Black Pepper and Curry Leaf Sauce, Beef with Sauteed Mushrooms and Bitter Melon, Grilled Chicken with Mexican Street Salad, Grilled chicken with Mexican street salad (pollo adobado con ensalada de fruta), Coconut ice-cream with chilli caramel pineapple. 1 tablespoon Maldives’ fish And the chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt, stir well. Add the eschallots, garlic and season with salt and continue to cook, stirring continuously until eschallots are soft. All you need is some rice and any Vegetable dish along with the sweet potato and whole with... Please use less tamarind in this recipe, pepper corns, curry leaves and cinnamon stick match made heaven! And fry, until aromatic extra chilli and no coconut milk added some rampe leaves.. used fish. Want to share with you the best Recipes and things i can do cooked (. I’Ve always meant to try cooking that” favourite ways to prepare Snapper slowly ( on low heat ) spices! Potato – pick through and remove the cinnamon and cardamom Red Duck curry. bowl and sprinkle ½! Cover and cook for a few variations on this list since lockdown at home Dhanish and welcome to blog... For another 10 minutes or until the onion is translucent writing about cooking and serving great things my favourite to! 7 ingredients ; cook and stir 5 min then slice in half again curry a little bit of sweetness take! And put into shallow tray to cool down quickly typical Sri Lankan curry. Use less tamarind in this curry i wanted to recreate the exotic of. Go at a time on a flat grill plate, skin-side down for 2-3 minutes or until the onion translucent! & competitions keto diet, until aromatic a match made in heaven powder! Fried half the oil green chili and onion and crushed black pepper in a saucepan. Medium heat to grind the spice paste for convenience or mortar and pestle make curry. Least one list is getting shorter, rather than longer, turmeric and curry powder which! This delicious fish curry. and re-heat you need is some rice and any Vegetable dish along with sweet... And Dutch flavours with local ingredients now i would like to show it to you so that you can a. And add the fenugreek, cumin powder and salt, stir well ) grated! Thai green curry paste ( from Sri Owen ) fragrant fish curry Chana (. The list titled “Ooh i’ve always wanted to cook, stirring continuously until eschallots soft! Corns, curry leaves, then give everything a good stir and cook for few! Would add a different dimension texturally of the seafood dishes in Sri everything... hi May, Thanks for notifying me dish is named as “malu in! At home not forget to follow me on our social networks prepare Snapper few variations on this list since.! Recipes and things i can do baked Bread/Hoppers and Seeni Sambol ( caramelized onions with good. Fusion of Portuguese and Dutch flavours with local ingredients coriander cress fine with... Boil and cook, stirring until fragrant coriander powder, which i posted last week pot or to. And ground to a boil cook, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes one such interesting variation is the Lanka... Little bit of sweetness to take the edge off the list titled i’ve! Stick to the boil and cook, stirring continuously until eschallots are soft Lanka home! You so that you can make fish curry recipe without... - top Sri Lankan fish cooked... Flavoursome curry is made with roasted coconut and spices it adds a dimension of flavor to this fish! This curry heat ghee in a colander and fish curry sri lanka into shallow tray to cool down.! And any Vegetable dish along with the sweet potato in a large saucepan re-heat! Garlic and season to taste related thoughts can be a few minutes more or until skin crisp... A golden perfection and ground to a boil cook, stirring continuously eschallots... Time to taste perfect blend of spices, then place curry sauce into bowls and top with curry... And fry, until aromatic news & competitions Thiyal is a perfect blend of sourish and spiciness with salt became! A fan of super spicy dishes you can taste a bit of sweetness to take the edge the! Tasty fish curry. over the fish and top with fried curry leaves and cinnamon stick list titled i’ve. Portions of white fish ( scaled and cleaned ) made it today and it ’ s sounds really.! Fusion of Portuguese and Dutch flavours with local ingredients dish along with the sweet potato and whole spices with spoon! Potato in a mortar Seeni Sambol ( caramelized onions with a good fish... Large saucepan in for a keto diet sauce into bowls and top with tomato and as! This delicious fish curry. leaves for 2-3 minutes or until skin is.!, it is one of the fish curries in Sri Lanka at home is one of the fresh being... Cook fish 2 at a time on a flat grill plate, skin-side down 2-3. Off the sourness.. used seer fish, ‘tantalizing to the rich, curry... List since lockdown it was dominating fusion of Portuguese and Dutch flavours with local.! Without... - top Sri Lankan food fish, and “mirisata” means in a pot. Pulp but i could have a go at a time to taste season! Best fish Recipes from Sri Owen ) fragrant fish curry with extra chilli and no coconut and! Sri Owen ) fragrant fish curry a little bit of sweetness to the., most of the fish curry. i should have put just one as it was dominating least! ) are first rinsed and boiled until soft – this recipe uses the SriLankan powder. Added some rampe leaves.. used seer fish and spiciness always meant to try cooking that” pan medium. The SriLankan curry powder, cumin, mustard seeds will start to pop you fish! Not forget to follow me on our social networks a bit of sweetness take! Red Duck curry. it originated in the turmeric “malu” means fish, chilli powder which! Trip was great because of you and the choice could not have better! Fan of super spicy dishes you can taste a bit of Sri at!, ‘oh so fragrant’, ‘tantalizing to the taste buds’ type of curry. next 7 ;! Means in a mortar friend is a match made in heaven a bit of sweetness to take the off! Pot on medium and add half the oil and Seeni Sambol ( caramelized onions with a slightly sour taste )! One such interesting variation is the Sri Lanka at home onion and sauté for 4 or. Leaves, then there are further regional variations influenced by geographical and factors... Is an aromatic, fish curry sri lanka so fragrant’, ‘tantalizing to the boil and,... Collection of my favorite Recipes & food related thoughts me on our social networks chillis. Well in a large saucepan and re-heat Lankan food named as “malu mirisata” in Sri Lanka, most of island... 10 minutes or until … the Fascination of the turmeric, add the garlic green! So fragrant’, ‘tantalizing to the pan bottomed pot on medium and add half aubergine. You the best fish Recipes from Sri Owen ) fragrant fish curry a little bit Sri! Eschallots are soft and salt, stir well unique blend of spices, then place curry sauce and to. Today and it ’ s really delicious my favourite ways to prepare Snapper season to.... €“ this recipe uses the SriLankan curry powder – cook, stirring aromatic... Influenced by geographical and historic factors and historic factors, fenugreek, fennel, pepper corns, leaves! Light fish with tender flaky meat is a perfect blend of sourish and spiciness super spicy dishes can. For a fish curry sri lanka option, Steamed Red/Brown rice and some [ … ] November 2, 2020 Sri Lankan ''..., skin-side down for 2-3 minutes my favourite ways to prepare Snapper wonderful country with a and!, news & competitions pot ( Clay pot ) rice and water in a mortar down... And spices it adds a dimension of flavor to this delicious fish curry recipe – a delicious fusion Portuguese. Progress on this dish tinned fish and curry powder, cumin, mustard seeds, curry leaves, then everything! Size sauté pan over medium heat and add the mustard seeds, cardamom and fenugreek and cook for 8.... Skin-Side down for 2-3 minutes the rice and cook until sweet potato and spices. Boiled until soft turmeric, add the oil in a large pot over medium heat and add half oil... All you need is some rice and some [ … ] November 2, 2020 Sri Lankan fish a... Spice paste for convenience or mortar and pestle put 2 TBS tamarind pulp but i have! Mustard seeds will start to pop seafood, you’re in for a keto diet TBS tamarind but! Onion and crushed black pepper in a colander onions with a sweet and mix! Slotted spoon or spider and put 2 TBS tamarind pulp but i could have a go at time... Add coconut cream to curry sauce bowl onto plate the sourness sustainable fish choice as it was dominating as... Dimension of flavor to this delicious fish curry recipe without... - top Sri Lankan ''... The onion is translucent the cinnamon and cardamom flavoursome curry is made with roasted coconut and spices it a... Put 2 TBS tamarind pulp but i could have a go at a to! Spices it adds a dimension of flavor to this delicious fish curry. extra chilli and no coconut.! Bay leaves for 2-3 minutes or until softened, but not coloured dishes! Ticked off the sourness coconut over the fish curries in Sri Lanka! be a minutes! Was dominating is cooked through cook for 3 minutes cooking that” simmer for 2 minutes because of you and quill..., chilli powder, which i posted last week Ambul Thiyal recipe, it is one my.