Honestly it reads like a poorly edited first draft. If you are looking for something of this intensity that doesn't follow a predictable storyline I can recommend The Child Finder or The River at Night. Angela tries to stand by her man, but when one of Jason's accusers, a woman named Kerry Lynch, disappears, she's forced to reconsider her loyalty. Typical protagonist tipple: A measured flute of champagne. Current Issue Special Issues All Issues Manage Subscription Subscribe. I hope he tries again bc I think he can do a better story. Mallory has edited recent “Agatha Christie” novels, but Christie never wrote an action scene packed with special effects just right for the movie version. This content is currently not available in your region. I ouind the repetitive description of the main character, Anna- pouring wine, drinking wine, sloshing wine, spilling wine on her robe, putting her robe on or her robe falling open- very tedious and boring. There's a problem loading this menu right now. By clicking “I agree” below, you consent to the use by us and our third-party partners of cookies and data gathered from your use of our platforms. If this is NYT best seller, then anyone can be one, Reviewed in the United States on June 15, 2018. Rear Window, the Alfred Hitchcock film starring Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly, is one of my favorite movies of all time, and with a plot that seemed to mirror that of the film, The Woman in the Window … Finn is a completely inept writer (his use of language is hilariously bad), and I find myself truly angry that I spent $13.99 for his execrable work. an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking We use cookies and other technologies to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests. The difference is that Jeff (Jimmy Stewart) is a likable, reliable, intelligent guy, and Anna Fox is a nervous, foolish, drug abusing, whining drunk. Reviewed in the United States on February 2, 2018. The two of them spend a wonderful, confessional evening back in the house, playing chess and getting loaded. Ask the Author. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. See our Privacy Policy and Third Party Partners to learn more about the use of data and your rights. Anna Fox is a recently separated woman … We need to know about Anna’s past life as a child psychiatrist, and about the husband and daughter who have abandoned her in the house. I purchased on my kindle md it’s in German... wth? A book about a woman who watches her neighbors through her window and sees something horrible, but no one believes her? Pre-publication book reviews and features keeping readers and industry influencers in the know since 1933. Reviewed in the United States on January 30, 2018. [So I'm confused. For the life of me, I can't imagine this one being a best seller. Finn (Morrow). Well, believe me, from now on, I will read the sample before I buy the book. What it's about: When Myriam returns to work after having a baby, she hires a nanny named Louise, who seems ideal; she's punctual, polite, almost prim. Welcome back. It seemed to be following the way Girl on the Train was written, but never got going for me. I totally agree. I don't care about reading two paragraphs about something I've already read! If you like Rear Window (one of my favorites), don't bother with this book. For your group if: You love D.C.-centric stories, especially those with spies. And you have to plow through even more floors full of crap you were never interested in to begin with. Typical protagonist tipple: Five glasses of merlot. lol Katie spending any time at all with David was completely unnecessary to the plot. What was the point in that? She is unreliable and she is, of course, an alcoholic. I will just get some of my good friends to write a glorified synopsis for me and WHOOPIEE!!! If the plot's not wholly new, the storytelling definitely is. It was, reviewers said, steeped in film noir, well written, fast paced, original, and a love letter to classic Hitchcock films. Typical protagonist tipple: A few pints of lager. I totally agree. All of this is very familiar, to the point where “The Woman in the Window” starts off feeling ordinary. Was she just stalling to get in position to push Ethan? Book Review. Not for your group if: You can't live with a little ambiguity at the end. There is a current wave of novels with the same premise over and over: women who witness something but are unreliable due to unstable personaliti. The biggest irony of the book is that, although Anna makes frequent references to the old movies she loves, there is (I believe) only one brief reference to Rear Window. This book was dissappointing, considering how much hype it has generated. And the random sex between Anna and David? A book that’s as devious as this novel will delight anyone who’s been disappointed too often. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. He truly aspires to write in their tradition. You've read this twice... perhaps I should give it a read? Mallory also clearly knows a lot about the more diabolical elements in Hitchcock movies. By clicking “I agree” below, you consent to the use by us and our third-party partners of cookies and data gathered from your use of our platforms. For your group if: Your favorite TV series is "Shetland. Writers' Center . She was making up what she said his birth mother told her and used what was most familiar to her, which was Ed's personality. Anna makes a disastrous effort to go beyond her front door and meets someone she’s eager to know. From the synopsis I can’t help picturing Rear Window. Van Dusen, a fictional amateur detective created by Jacques Futrelle. This all goes down so smoothly that its consequences come as a complete shock. I skip every review that starts by describing the plot. You can’t have a psychological thriller these days with a sober person, can you? If you’ve watched any one-star horror movie, the final scene here was same. As i was reading, I wondered if the author was copying and pasting these descriptions over and over when he talked about Anna's daily intake of wine and then her sloppy behavior. Did I miss something? 'Gone Girl" is gone, devoured by your book group ages ago.The same goes for "The Girl on the Train," "The Widow" and "Big Little Lies" — all titles you loved.Or hated. The difference is that Jeff (Jimmy S. The similarity is (allegedly) viewing a murder through a window and trying to get others to believe what you saw. ‘The Woman in the Window’ Nods to Classics Old and New, From Hitchcock to ‘The Girl on the Train’. It has, of course, already been optioned as a film, probably starring Reese Witherspoon. 16,782 global ratings | 9,162 global reviews, Reviewed in the United States on July 4, 2018. You also agree to our Terms of Service. This is a dark, atmospheric thriller that in the first 40% of the book had me completely captivated. The rocket fuel propelling “The Woman in the Window,” the first stratosphere-ready mystery of 2018, is expertise. The most important news stories of the day, curated by Post editors and delivered every morning. The Woman in the Window is intoxicating, dark, and simply unputdownable. The same goes for "The Girl on the Train," "The Widow" and "Big Little Lies" — all titles you loved. The rocket fuel propelling “The Woman in the Window,” the first stratosphere-ready mystery of 2018, is expertise.